Author Topic: out and about  (Read 1176 times)

riverrat

out and about
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:11:15 pm »
 dont get 55 degree days in febuary often in ohio. went out and about for a walk in my favorite shoot shaft haunts. boy oh boy hit the mother load. japanese honey suckle sprouts everywhere. indigo shoots tall and straight as arrows. , and a few long enough for atlatl darts. then whats that red stuff i see? oh man loads of red osier! tied ten bundles of 12 shafts each. not counting the unusable ones.did get a few indigo with rabbit naw marks on them.they were dead where the bite marks was and brittle. those ones got tossed in the burn pile.oh and a handfull of white ash shoots growing off of stumps cut a few years ago because of that beetle infestation.{ one of my "haunts" includes a area where a owner of a property said " take all you want cut all them trees down i wont mind a bit."}. so i do every year. matter of fact he has several nice saplings of white ash im going to inquire about. planning on doing a Penobscot bow myself :). and a plains type bow or two if he lets me have them. i noticed his gutter is hanging down out back. might just get with him and put it up for him. itll give me a chance to talk about those w.ash trees. :)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: out and about
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:00:54 pm »
Sounds like a good day of gathering supplies.  Can you post some pictures of the shaft materials that you found?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:06:20 pm »
sure, heres most of it. i have a couple bundles and half a doz. dart shafts i also put in the garage where ill be working on them.the last pic i had to take upside down so i could get the darts in there lol.Tony

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:10:12 pm »
Those look nice.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left