Author Topic: First Time Encountering Knots  (Read 2071 times)

dalanwhitaker

First Time Encountering Knots
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:04:48 am »
Hey folks, I'm currently in the middle of a red oak board bow. I've made a few in the past but this is the first time I've encountered knots of any kind. This one is relatively small and sits on the edge of the limb and only appears on the belly of the bow. I've read up on dealing with knots and how it's sometimes best to leave extra wood to support these spots. However, most of the examples I've seen are for knots that are bigger than this one. I think this one might even be considered a pin? That said, I'm wondering how people deal with knots of this size and whether or not I should be concerned at this stage. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! And here is a picture:

Offline sapling bowyer

Re: First Time Encountering Knots
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:11:22 am »
Should be no problem at all. Just continue normally
Time is short

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »
That will crack/splinter on you. I would suggest narrowing and/or rounding that edge until that knot is gone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:30 pm »
that knot on the edge scares me. Do what pearl said and round it and see if you can get through it. If not, Id get a new piece or wrap it.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:16:30 pm »
If that knot is on the belly you will probably eliminate it while you tiller.
  That stave is pretty narrow for a red oak bow unless you make the bow longer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

dalanwhitaker

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 01:22:32 pm »
That will crack/splinter on you. I would suggest narrowing and/or rounding that edge until that knot is gone.

Thanks Pearl Drums, when you say narrowing/rounding, you mean to round out the belly and try to get through the area of that knot?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 01:30:19 pm »
Exactly, make it go bye-bye. If that means a narrow, lower weight bow? So be it. Healthy is always better than sketchy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 02:17:39 pm »
From my experience knots that small don't do any harm bust most guys are more experienced than me so listen to them
Time is short

dalanwhitaker

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:26:34 pm »
that knot on the edge scares me. Do what pearl said and round it and see if you can get through it. If not, Id get a new piece or wrap it.

Thanks missilemaster, what do you mean by wrapping it? I'm planning on putting on a rawhide backing. Would that interfere?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
The only board (which was hickory) I tried with a small knot broke at the knot.
I'd take it back and get one with straight grain and no knots.
Jawge
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:58:53 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 04:56:44 pm »

I totally agree with you here, with the caveat that, unfortunately the board is only about 1-1/4" wide to start with.  Narrowing it until the knot disappears will leave it less than 1" wide. The best approach is BARELY narrowing the board, and then rounding the corners, or even making a crowned belly, along with whatever side limb taper, and MAYBE you have something to work with.

Some others have said that knots that small are negligible.  MOST of the time, in a nice wide stave, i'd agree.  In this case, the stave is tiny, so the knot is proportionally large. The grain around the knot is the just as big a problem as the knot.  It's oak, which likes much more width in the limb, it's a board which is some increment weaker than a split stave, and it doesn't seem to be where you can hide it in a handle or anything.  It adds up.