Author Topic: Hickory back  (Read 2484 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hickory back
« on: February 25, 2016, 08:29:35 am »
Just a quick check on something I hav'nt tried yet here.Got a nice hickory stave that's very fine ringed.Pig nut I think.Bark was draw knifed off and it's violated here and there.It's tough stuff I know but maybe I should put a rawhide cover on it ya think?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory back
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:04 am »
Ed, I.ve made lots of hickory backed bows with terrible grain violations and never had a back failure. That said I think I would use a rawhide backing on a hickory stave with grain violations. Don't ask me why. I know I'm contradicting myself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:00:21 pm »
I would go for it.  You never know when a bow will explode
Time is short

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:09:33 pm »
Post a picture to show the extend of the damage.

You may be just fine. Or you could chase a ring. Or you could apply a backing.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »
I'm with Pat Ed, if you have to ask back it and rawhide is a great medium for artwork
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »
If they're not bad violations you can probably get away with smoothingit out and feathering the violations so they spread over a bit of distance.

Kyle

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:38:48 pm »
  Fine grained ring porous wood is pretty easy to chase a ring on, too, usually.  Just use a scraper, not a cutting tool.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 12:42:18 am »
Thanks fellas......It is a very fine grained thing.Intermittent grain violation swirls here and there.Be a real pain to chase one ring.The undulations and all make it that way.It'll take forever....lol.Guess I'm a wooos but so be it....lol.Feel as though it's like a decrowning job,and then I'd rawhide that.I know practically everyone has taken a piece of hickory and tried to break it for kindling and it'll take a terrific bend before breaking but I'm gonna go with my gut on this one.Could take it to brace though first with no big bending then heat treat it and then put the rawhide on.
I've got some really thin yearling dry scraped deer hide.Guess I could call it clarified deer skin.Maybe could stain it first with an alcohol dye then put the rawhide on.It's one of those reaction dried reflexed type staves.About 3 years old I guess.Got wrangled into this bow trade thing and got 4 bows getting ready for the string maybe more.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 04:46:39 am »
I have done a ton of Hickory and yes it is tough  to break but not that tough to life a splinter, I would rawhide back it if it was mine. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 07:33:13 am »
My thoughts exactly Pap.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 01:05:14 pm »
yes the rawhide would be good and it looks nice too,, no way to go wrong putting it on,, adds a nice contrast to the hickory,,