Author Topic: Hide Glue  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Hide Glue
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:48:00 am »
Hi guys Im currently working a new bow its a D bow 62 1/2 ntn looking to get 50lb @29 1/2 I have reverse strung it & 380 grains of sinew on so far , I am using titebond liquid hide glue for the sinew I know some will pooh pooh this glue but I used it on my last bow and had great sucess ,I know Dean Torges uses this glue with sucess, has any body else used this glue with sinew also I have a 1lb of traditional hide glue setting here for my next one to compare ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline ajooter

Re: Hide Glue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:52:31 am »
Poo poo...that's a good way of putting it and I'm sure your right...some guys are pretty particular about their glue...but probably for good reason.  Interested to see what ya get.

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:59:44 am »
Is it better than knox glue??
Nice bow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 08:00:01 am »
Liquid hide glue has a limited shelf life I've been told and when old it takes a long time to cure out. If it is fresh there shouldn't be a problem.
I've not use liquid hide glue and will stick with what works well for me.
 Looking forward to seeing your results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 08:14:34 am »
Pat its realy easy to test shelf life by putting drop between your fingers & pinching a couple of times if its gets tacky right away its good plus if it goes bad it smells bad Im not advocating using it instead of traditional glue its just a matter of economics for me I had some left from a antique restore job & didnt want to waste it
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:31:45 am »
Looks good man.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:47:27 am »
The main difference is that it won't give as strong a bond as pure collogen glue due to the additives that keep it liquid. Sinewing a wood bow doesn't really stress these glues close to their limit so you will be fine with the reduced bond strength.
Knox (or any food grade gelatine) gelatine is a super refined collogen glue, is very strong and you can eat it if you get hungry halfway through sinewing......