Author Topic: advice on this locust bow  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Puckaway

Re: advice on this locust bow
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 05:33:57 pm »
Its about an inch wide... I've got very small hands. I've overbuilt my other handles and most of them feel crappy to me.

riverrat

Re: advice on this locust bow
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:11 am »
you went a little too much on those tips and your going to have to remove them. your original design seemed a bit over built for a 26 in. draw so you should be fine with what is left.dont try to flip the tips wayyyy back. yea it looks cool, but it causes problems when it goes too far. like this, like tips that dont align,twists, ect.also when you heat locust, get it so hot you cant touch it with out it burning you. then wait a couple minutes away from the heat gun. reheat at that point. it allows the heat to penetrate from the OUTSIDE to the INSIDE of the limb.now its ready to bend once it gets so hot it burns to touch it again.make sure you use oil. when you first bend it you will feel resistance. just hold it there. in a second or two you will feel it "give" now you can bend it just a little more. dont go crazy though. then stop. hold it at that point until it cools. this could take a good 10 minutes.its a "feel" thing. same goes for osage if you ever try that. they are pretty comparable when it comes to heat bending.Tony