Author Topic: hunting with glass  (Read 2555 times)

Offline jkyarcher

hunting with glass
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:44:23 pm »
I know that glass and obsidian are basically the same but I was wondering how many people here use glass like bottle bottoms on large game.

I was just wondering because as I improve in ability I plan on using my points one day and glass is my most available resource for knapping.

Also using bottles my points usually end up a little small and I was just wondering how small is too small. Again I know small points can be effective

still just wondering.

Offline Chippintuff

Re: hunting with glass
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:54:35 pm »
A lot of primitive archers use glass points. The only problem with them is that most people get just one shot per point. The points are easy to break. The best remedy for that is to make them thick.

The biggest concern on size of points is the limitations put on it by each state's game and fish laws. Be sure to read them first. The little "bird points" that were sometimes only an inch long were used on buffalo by the Native Americans. All the point needs to do is poke a hole in a lung, cut a big artery or puncture the heart. The lung will collapse and the other hits will cause the animal to bleed to death quickly.

Another concern is getting the points sized to the same weight. If the arrows weigh different amounts, they fly differently. The weight can usually be equalized by changing the length of the point or the design of the base.

WA

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:18:19 am »
In my state using man made glass points to hunt is illegal. The law states broadheads must be "metal or naturally occurring stone". The points must also be at least 7/8" wide and the cutting edge must not exceed 3".
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:32:28 am »
Nowhere does it prohibit heat treating your stone, and last time I checked, sand is a stone...  >:D 
jus saying.

Do you think the average person can tell the difference between a well made glass point vs an obsidian point?  I am by no means advocating breaking any laws here.  ::)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 09:53:53 am »
jkyarcher, maybe pappy will come on and tell ya all about hunting with glass points, very interesting story. Bob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:06:56 am »
I like tempered/plate glass best.
 I have had good luck knapping with table top glass 1/2- 5/8" thick.
I would not hesitate to use it for hunting. Porcelain also.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 04:32:40 pm »
Seminoles were known to use glass points in Florida. Instead of waiting for Pappy, invest n some back issues of Primitive Archer and look for Pappy's "Aunt Jemima" Deer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 07:18:05 pm »
Thanks Eddie that's the one I'm thinking of ;D Bob

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 03:31:17 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 11:00:50 am »
  Glass isn't as strong as osidin.

I started knapping in the Mid 80's while useing recurves. My first step back from compounds. I started out with glass and used a MARTIN TD. Knapping 1/4" thick old bottle bottems. That first year I shot 3 ground hogs, 2 does and my first gobbler with a bow a jake with a traditional bow and glass points.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING