Author Topic: Redneck Ramada II  (Read 89051 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Redneck Ramada II
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2016, 02:47:02 pm »
Just tell them the extra space is for hauling home your harvest it would  look good with a moose or bear strapped on the front porch !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #226 on: April 10, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »
Patrick, the tongue weight isn't that bad. It didn't squat my truck down.  I'm actually worried about it not having enough weight up fronts once I get it loaded down in the storage compartment.  I'll check it after I get it all packed up.  I can always move some stuff around to even it up if I need to.  I've made a couple of trips to the Classic with my truck bed so loaded down the bumpers were bottomed out on the axles.  That was a stressful trip.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2016, 05:50:53 pm »
Another project goes in the "completed" column. Congrats, Clint!

Not even close Knoll.  I still have some small stuff to finish up before I head to Pappy Land.  When I get back I will start on the interior.

Will shag carpet be in place by Marshall?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2016, 05:51:39 pm »
I've had another good day of work on the camper.  I vacuumed all the sawdust out, put up a bow hanger, touched up a couple spots of caulking, sprayed a second coat of sealer on it, made a step for the bed platform, did some work on the windows, lightened up my osage step, and put some temporary luan boards along the sides of the bed platform to keep the air mattress from getting splinters. I've only got a couple more things left on my to-do list.  I want to put luan boards down in the storage area.  I need to stop and buy 2 sheets to finish that job up.  I bought some heavy canvas material to cover the bed platform.  I'm going to wait to put that down until I'm ready to pack up for the trip to the Classic.

The step and the temporary side boards

The bow rack.  I'll reuse this after I finish the inside up.

Some precision chainsaw work made the step a lot lighter. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #229 on: April 10, 2016, 05:52:13 pm »
Another project goes in the "completed" column. Congrats, Clint!

Not even close Knoll.  I still have some small stuff to finish up before I head to Pappy Land.  When I get back I will start on the interior.

Will shag carpet be in place by Marshall?

No but the laminate flooring should be.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2016, 07:30:13 pm »
Looks great Clint. Looking forward to seeing it at Marshall.

Offline JEB

« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2016, 08:14:27 pm »
Great looking camper. Look for a large plastic storage box for the tongue. I have found a couple of them at yard sales for $5.00 each. It would look good and be good storage for ,"what  ever", chain saw, tool bow,  small grill etc.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2016, 08:16:09 pm »
That dude sure looks good! Glad it pulls good for ya. I'm just a tad concerned as to how much of the weight is forward of the axles.

Patrick

Yeah. Do you have a guess as to tongue weight?  Maybe you could clean up the wheels a bit :-[ :-[  I'm an old hot rodder, if the wheels look good the vehicle looks good. Nothing else matters.

I found some tire cleaner in the garage and sprayed the tires with it.  The old rims  match the rest of the camper. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2016, 08:19:03 pm »
Thanks Jeb.  I'm not sure if a plastic toolbox would match the rest of the camper.  I'll come up with something to put there.

Thanks PNewton.  I'm looking forward to not having to set up and take down my tent this year.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2016, 11:04:08 pm »
You know, thinking about it,  was that trailer made for a fiberglass boat? If so the tubing will be plenty heavy enough for what ever. The axles are farther back to account for the weight of the fuel and larger outboard motor.
IIf it doesn't squat your truck much then you may have to add something to the tung to help ballance out the load so you don't put too much stress on the rear axel of the trailer.
Load it with the tung jack lowered to keep the trailer level. Check the tires as you load so that they are squatting fairly evenly. If you can pick up the tung without much effort  then it's back heavy. You should be able to pick up the tung but it should be fairly heavy. If it is the load should be balanced enough to have even strain on both axles.
II worked in the manufacturing of the boats and the trailers for a few years. If I remember right that was an 18 foot boat trailer.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2016, 11:38:42 pm »
The old rims  match the rest of the camper.

:laugh:    :laugh:
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2016, 10:07:04 am »
I went and got the temporary license plate for it today.  I hope the real plate shows up before I have to leave. 

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2016, 11:32:25 am »
An old license plate would look right at home on it. 

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2016, 11:32:40 am »
Just tell them the extra space is for hauling home your harvest it would  look good with a moose or bear strapped on the front porch !

Now there's an idea, if you need more weight on the front Clint how about an actual porch? Even if just for show, bolt a rocking chair on it etc, lol.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2016, 12:29:32 pm »
I was thinking more like a grill and a stave press.  I was gonna mention the wheels, but I figured you were maintaining the rustic look.  You've accomplished quite a bit in a short time on this unit.  Josh