Author Topic: Osage short-ish pulled far-ish for me *braced/unbraced added  (Read 4958 times)

Offline make-n-break

Osage short-ish pulled far-ish for me *braced/unbraced added
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:49:34 pm »
Here's one from a 4-5" Osage sapling I finished a while back. I abused it pretty badly. Originally finished around 60-65# at 26"  or so. Then I did two deep heat treatments and it became 75-80# at 26. The previously 60# bendy handle couldn't take that much weight and started taking set in the handle area after a long day of shooting so I retillered it again and heat treated the handle area one more time. It's all finished up at 67#@28 which is perfect for an all day shooter and all around hunter for me.

53" ttt, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 wide for half the limbs with a high crown tapered to little tips (for me). It has a nice little bit of snakiness to it too but I don't have a pic right now. Pulled to 28 in this picture. I've never abused a stave so badly and had it survive without a hiccup. No frets, splinters, nada. Pure luck. There's a little bit of set leftover in the handle after that last treatment. It's my shortest, farthest pulling, thinnest tipped bow so far. This one's a milestone in my personal bowyering journey. A real fun one to shoot too
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:39:17 am by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Steve Milbocker

Re: Osage short-ish pulled far-ish for me
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:51:20 pm »
Sweet! Love those tips
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:59:42 pm »
very nice bend, very cool.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:42:26 pm »
Nice looking bend there.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »
It's been a L O N G time since I could even kinda say that a 67 pound bow was a "Nice all day shooter" for me!!!  Heck, I'd prolly have to be double sure to get my Wheaties to even brace such a beast more than a couple of a few times in a day, much-the-less full draw and shoot it all day!

That's a really pretty bend you got on that short and heavy bow sir.  Very nice look!  What wood are the overlays made out of?

OneBow 

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:40 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The overlays are oak Onebow. Here's some of its mild character and the sisal handle with the shape built up a little with leather for comfort. forgot to mention the arrow pass is true center so the lower limb is about 1.5 inches shorter than the upper.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:11:05 pm »
Dude! 67#all dayer? Good for u. That bend is spot on from where i'm sittin. Very nice stik.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:33:32 pm »
That's a really appealing bow, to me. Couldn't shoot it, but......it's the real deal. Congrats on getting there!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 07:36:26 pm »
That is  a beautiful tiller! Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 08:11:08 pm »
I would only go that light if I was shooting two back to back all Dayers :) very nice congrats,,,

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 08:26:43 pm »
Good looking bendy bow.  Nice work.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 11:43:01 pm »
The tiller is spot on perfect.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 12:45:19 am »
Looks good! Do you have a braced or unbraced photo too?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:30:49 am »
I love it man. Killer tiller and huge stats on the draw length and weight, other than those last two items I just mentioned it would be perfect for me. ;) 
Now that I think about it though at my 24" draw the weight might be perfect for me after all.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:11 am »
 Really nice even bend and love the tips, gott'a be a speedster...Nice shorty for sure 8)
                                                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;