Author Topic: Red Oak Tiller Advice  (Read 6074 times)

Offline brokenarrow45

Red Oak Tiller Advice
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:48:45 pm »
Hey guys, I am new here and just getting into making bows so here is a red oak board bow that I started on. Never done this before so any advice on the tiller would be appreciated.

I figure the left limb will be the top, right now it is bending 1/4 in. more than the right.

Thanks!

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
Re: Red Oak Tiller Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:59:16 pm »
Hi Brokenarrow. It looks to me like the tillers a bit uneven. I'd say the majority of the bend is happening in the inner third of the limbs, especially the right limb. If your going for a d bow you'll want a smooth bend the whole way. I'm new at this too so you may want to get a few more responses before you make your choice as to what to do. Also if you invest in tiller board it'll make it a lot easier to see how it's bending. I used a simple piece of cheap plywood drilled to a couple studs and marked lines every two inches both horizontal and vertical. It really helps a lot and I wish I would have done it sooner. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:23:09 pm »
Lookin good. Are you goin for a bend in the handle bow?....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

ozark caveman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:32:26 pm »
It looks to me that you are trying for a D bow. The biggest mistake that I've seen beginners make is that they are so afraid of getting a whip ended bow that they end up with what I call Log tips. Then all of the bend in their bow is at the middle of the bow. Remember that the tips are your thinnest point :)

a finnish native

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:27:38 am »
the left limb is not bending enough compared to the right one. get some more bend going on in the outer and mid limbs also

Offline brokenarrow45

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I will get working on it tonight and post pics.

I am going for a stiff handle bow.

Would plywood or white peg board be better for a tiller board?

Offline brokenarrow45

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:19:22 am »
I worked on the bow for a little more tonight, I took a lot of wood off the tips and worked to even out the limbs better. I am at 40# @ 24 in (my scale on the tiller tree is off). I was shooting for 40# @ 28 but I am not sure if I will be able to get it there.

Do you guys see a hinge out at the lower 3rd of the left limb a little up from the string? Any other suggestions would be helpful!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 05:13:53 am »
It does look like you might have a hinge there, hard to tell for sure, seeing as how
this is a board stave you can use caliphers to check the thickness and see if its noticably thinner
at that point. Other than that its looking pretty good. If your at 40#@24" why cant you make 40#@28" ???
Slow down now and remove wood evenly with plenty of exercise in between wood removal.
How about a unbrace side profile
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 07:21:35 am »
Looks pretty good to me,I guess I am one of them afraid of getting the wip end.I leave the last
6 inches or so and the fads till last.It may be starting to hindge there like Dana said hard to tell but if you got 4 more inches to go ,just go slow,work it a lot between scraps and stay off that spot.
Keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline brokenarrow45

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:30:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply's. I am going out of town this weekend so I will get back on it monday. I'll keep you posted.

One question: Its still looking a lot like a board should I round the edges more?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:35:52 pm by brokenarrow45 »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 05:22:25 pm »
Define more, can't really tell in the pics, I round my off is all I can tell ya.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline brokenarrow45

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 05:43:03 pm »
Good point, next Monday I will get a few pictures of the bow up close.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:37:41 pm »
The last several inches of that left limb probably should be left alone. That is bending too much. It's a borderline hinge.  You all of good eyes. I missed it initially. I would leave that area alone and remove wood  from above that area up to the handle. I would leave the 4 inch (?) handle area alone.  That left limb may be a bit stiff anyway. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline brokenarrow45

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 01:53:17 am »
I got a chance to work on the bow tonight. Here it is unstrung, braced and full draw 40# @ 27. Target is about 40# @ 28, what do you guys think of the tiller?

Thanks

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 07:03:51 am »
Right limb looks a little stiffer to me,from what I can see and the left looks like is is starting to bend a little more about 2/3rds toward the tip end.I would stay off it or maybe a little on either side of that spot and take the rest of the weight off the right limb.Looks pretty good overall.It won't take much to get that other inch.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good