Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Bending Boo?

(1/2) > >>

Brokenbow:
When Bending Bamboo do You use Steam or dry Heat? :-\

JackCrafty:
Dry heat....at least that's what I've seen. (my experience is limited to river cane)  The air inside the boo (between nodes) will expand and cause the bamboo to crack (or explode) unless you use low heat or have some way of letting the hot air escape.  I think there is at least one good video and several websites that have info on bamboo arrow making.

Brokenbow:
The Information i want is on bending Bamboo for use in a try lam Bow.i want to pre bend the Bamboo backing.
 I want to use 2 Lams of Yew and back them with Bamboo.
 ;D

wolfsire:
I read on a bamboo site about bending boo.  Most is done while the stuff is reasonably wet.  It was suggested to boil dry boo.  For what you want, I cannot see how steaming will hurt, but I can see how a dry heat could cause a burn or the use of oil, a typical dry heat supplement, would cause problems for lamination.

Then again, if you are going for something like a Perry Reflex, I dont think you even want to preset the bend.  I think you would want to retain its ability to bounce back.

Pat B:
Unless you are planning to make an extreme bend you shouldn't need much heat if any.   Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version