Author Topic: Bow making contest ( drawlength changed. Make it to your own draw length )  (Read 32200 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
That's great Patrick, looking forward to seeing your pear bow when you get a chance to photo it!

Sapling Bowyer, I dunno about this one, I looked it up and cottonwood is really dismal in tension. Not quite as bad in compression. I probably should have gone even wider and trapped the belly. Not an ideal sapling choice to say the least! Might have been better from a really big tree as a stave with as flat a back as possible.

I don't know how much more wood I'll be taking off -- it's still green at 33 oz. but that could drop quite a lot without touching the rasp. I'm kinda wondering if hollowing the belly ala Simson would improve my chances with a compression strong wood ---- or make the problem worse.....?

Looking forward to seeing your sapwood locust.....

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline sleek

Anyone ever thought of plywood as a bow? Maybe a high quality oak ply with a clean veneer face?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline willie

I thought of it, once........... 

wait,-- I will check tomorrow on my tji cutoffs, those flanges and versa lam pieces are calling, and some might even be aspen instead of fir

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Problem is, the veneers inside the face run crossways, and the face veneers are usually as thin as possible and even then, sanded thinner on the sheet.

Not saying it can't be done, maybe some odd type of ply would work.

If you backed a piece of primo 1/4" ply with say an eighth inch of elm or BL as a pyramid, it might work if the belly held up.

Offline Emmet

Nobody else have access to weird wood, or oddball preferences out there..... or are we the only nutz?

With over 2600 views I'd say It's being thought about. With all the trade bows being worked I'm sure not many have time for such nonsense right now.
 There's likely some sleepers out there that are planning and will be posting something over the top in the last weeks.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't many more.

Offline ajooter

My first successful bow and still rocking is a poplar board bow.  I have another board sitting in the corner I can work on a little while when I get caught up on a couple things.
That poplar board bow is over 40# too  ;)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Probably true Emmet.

Great ajooter! It'd be interesting to compare poplar and cottonwood. And board and sapling.

Is yours the kind of poplar that sometimes has unusual heartwood colors like green and purple?  -- I've seen that type at Home Depot.

I'm thinking that a board bow or de-crowned sapling, would be better for cottonwood than what I'm doing. If it doesn't work out, I might just try that for comparison sake.

Offline ajooter

It's a plain Jane home depot....this one does have some nice deep greens in it.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
I've been wondering about just what kind of poplar that is, since poplar is usually described as a white (literally) wood. This stuff is often multicolored and seems pretty hard by comparison.

I finally figured it out tonight. What Home Depot probably sells as poplar is "yellow poplar" -- actually not a poplar, but tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipfera.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/poplar/

At least I know what it is now.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
I decided to go with hollow limb tillering with the cottonwood bow, broke out a big gouge I have and went to work. I figure hollowing this sapling is the only way I can preserve the back width, and yet remove belly wood. It makes sense.

And since this is technically a compression strong wood (only by comparison with its low tensile strength) hollowing allows me to get the limb bending, and also even up the properties of the back and belly.

It is also a good way to pretty quickly reduce mass, and it seems to help drying a lot, increasing surface area, but reducing shrinkage stresses. Turners hollow out bowl blanks green for the same reason. I have to thank Simson for illustrating this tillering method. It's brilliant, and it seems very well suited to sapling or other high camber woods -- especially if they are compression strong.

I'm thinking it might be ideal for a cherry sapling for the same reasons.

Well can't count my chickens before they hatch, and it's not a bow yet. But I'm liking what I'm seeing while lightly floor tillering and hollowing to adjust it.

Offline sapling bowyer

Great thinking plan B. It will come in handy when working with weak compression strong woods
Time is short

Offline half eye

Just curious fellas, would Basswood (Linden) qualify as weird enough to make one?
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Rich, I think anything unusual qualifies. It's up to you.

It's funny, I have some linden (basswood) I cut and dried 5 years ago which I was using for making propellors for model planes and some other parts. I had just been thinking about it for a bow. I think if you did it, that would certainly be a tough wood to get a bow out of, but not impossible. It is pretty much at the bottom of the list of bad bow woods that I think Dakota put in the thread earlier. Worse than cottonwood even.....

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Sapling, well the operation was a success but the patient died! :laugh:

I'm really impressed with hollow tillering, but also had a lot to learn. It was going great for awhile, then some important points started cropping up and things went downhill until I got a big hinge and a buckled limb:

1.) the edges of a hollowed limb should be relatively sharp, not rounded.

2.) A very wide limb will create a LOT of camber -- there's a limit on how much camber the hollow tiller method can deal with. Beyond a certain point the limb edges will flap outwards and the back will buckle. I had a 2-3/4 limb width from a 3" dia sapling -- in other words nearly 1 to 1. It might have worked much better on a 4" sapling -- or if the wood was of a species and quality that the bow was say 2" max width on the 3" sapling.

3.) There was a definite obvious cause to the hinge -- a central knot with too much thickness -- I should have cut much more of that away.

4.) The failure was definitely a compression failure -- and a weird one because of the hollow. The bow buckled -- and then returned to it's original shape -- with only some severe frets showing on the underside where it had buckled. I mean it really let go hard on the tiller. Took it off and it looked like a bow again.

5.) Another error -- I thinned and narrowed the tips way too soon -- that was before I decided to hollow tiller, and I was thinking of it in the conventional way of flattening.

So a lot to learn -- but it really did work well for awhile, and I think if I do it again, I'd have a bow.

Much easier however to make a cottonwood bow from a board or relatively flat stave than a 3" sapling -- I think I came close, but not going to repeat it.

The bow after the break, first photo:

2wnd photo: damaged area. The edges should be sharper, and the knot dug out. I was just tillering lightly at 15 lbs and roughing out the hollow in the blank.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:54:28 am by PlanB »

Offline willie

just curious, ; why do you think the belly edge needs to be sharper? Or do you mean that the lower two edges each need to be as flat as possible, not rounded?

just a thought, but if the belly is not taking strain in the conventional manner, then is there some side bending, or controlled "flapping" outwards that is taking the load?
 Normally I would say,  RIP poor stave, but maybe the good limb need a autopsy