Author Topic: Bow making contest ( drawlength changed. Make it to your own draw length )  (Read 32208 times)

Offline willie

sleek said plywood, and I found this tji scrap at the shop. If I made a bow of it my self, it would not be my idea, so I will cut and tiller it to group consensus , a freebie for the contest thread

its 71" long, 2-1/4" across the flange, 1-1/8 flange thickness.  flange is doug fir and  looks to be without voids, it also has a 1/2" x1/2" groove filled with  aspen osb that can be dealt with any way youall think is best

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
just curious, ; why do you think the belly edge needs to be sharper? Or do you mean that the lower two edges each need to be as flat as possible, not rounded?

The lower two edges probably need to be thinned in the photo. Earlier, what looks flat here had been rounded -- just as one would radius a normal bows corner to reduce edge stresses. But I found that in the hollow design, the rounded edge became a stress riser in compression -- I got some small chrysals there, which I removed by flattening with a block plane (what you see now in the photo).

Cottonwood was a good teacher because it is so weak and chrysalled easily -- pointing out errors in what I was doing. I think it also demonstrated that hollow tillering definitely compensates for a weak tension wood -- the back never broke, even with the limb bent double. Cottonwood would normally be expected to to break in tension.

The actual corner with the cambered back was sharp after planing back, although it looks flat in the pic. The wall thickness at the edge was increased because of the planing, and I would probably have gouged more of it out if tillering had gone further, but I would not have radiused it.

just a thought, but if the belly is not taking strain in the conventional manner, then is there some side bending, or controlled "flapping" outwards that is taking the load?

Yes definitely, In fact I believe that was why the back did not break despite the extreme bend, and why the bow "reassembled" itself afterward. Simson has said that in his HLB designs, the sidewalls flex outwards a small amount relieving stress.

I think a less extreme camber to start with probably would have produced a bow. A nearly half circle section is asking a lot of the sidewalls.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

I would use a gooseneck scraper and clean that hollow limb up next time.  Give yourself a better surface to tiller from.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
I wasn't finished.  :)

Offline Emmet

sleek said plywood, and I found this tji scrap at the shop. If I made a bow of it my self, it would not be my idea, so I will cut and tiller it to group consensus , a freebie for the contest thread

its 71" long, 2-1/4" across the flange, 1-1/8 flange thickness.  flange is doug fir and  looks to be without voids, it also has a 1/2" x1/2" groove filled with  aspen osb that can be dealt with any way youall think is best

This is sleeks contest. He made some suggestions to give people ideas to try so the tji is your baby.

Offline willie

Nope, I,m not the daddy, just here to see if the kid can get a fair shake at life

Offline Emmet

Plan b Was the cotton wood dry or still soaking wet?  I would break a few more just to be sure.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Emmet it was nearly dry but not completely. It dried amazingly fast, and I was actually just roughing it out at the point that I broke it. I am weighing the broken bow just to see how much moisture it will lose over time. I bet not a lot more.

To answer ajooter's question more fully -- a scraper would have been really difficult at the stage I was at -- ven an outside scraper was difficult on cottonwood. Imagine trying to scrape slightly damp balsa wood. I did plan to scrape after getting it to brace height and when it was fully dry -- I had it on the tree pulling lightly just so I could stand back and see it.

I probably should try one again, and in fact the butt section is still where I left it, I think it's long enough but might be more knotty. This was the next section up.

Offline sleek

Im loving this. Thank you so much for your guys participation.

Willie, a hard to build bkw contest was my idea, what you do is yours. Take that plywood bpw and make it yours. You get full credit. Now make it bend.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!

Just pit some knocks in it and a piece if masons string and shoot an arrow out of it! Then it can be called a bow!  >:D

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
If you can pull 40 lbs on that kind of rig at your draw, and shoot a bunch of arrows out of it, and people like it enough to vote it in, that's a winner. If not, you'll learn a lot, provide entertainment and interesting reading, and have fun at the same time.

Offline willie

well it would certainly be one of the most unusual ideas I have ever heard of for a bow, the glitch is, it's not my idea.........

why do I feel like I am 12 again, and standing on the RR bridge over a muddy river, and being dared the first to jump?                 the heck with you chickens,    I'ill make it bend

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Bend it Willie! We will give you all the credit sleek was just shooting off at the mouth when he mentioned it. That's like saying that every Osage bow is not an original idea just because someone long ago though of using Osage.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

^ what he said.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Or cottonwood, or madrone........ :laugh:

We probably ain't the first either......

may not be the last on the cottonwood at my success rate.......

to dream the impossible dream....