Author Topic: Bow making contest ( drawlength changed. Make it to your own draw length )  (Read 32206 times)

Offline Thunder

Re: Bow making contest
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2016, 01:45:13 pm »
Do you have to sign up this or just show what you got by June 1st?

Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline sleek

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2016, 02:00:56 pm »
Join in whenever but build alongs are prefered and will help in judging who won with the bow that was least likely. Build along helps us see what you had to deal with and how you overcame the problems faced.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline willie

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 02:05:33 pm »
Sleek
this seems like a good contest for someone who is only has weird woods to work with. I often wish I could just go for a walk and find a osage or a yew tree, but thats not possible where I am, so different it has got to be.........

btw. can any body id this species?

Offline sleek

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 02:27:06 pm »
Willie, I would love to see you make a bow of that! Whatever it is....

Offline sleek

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 02:29:56 pm »
Would there be an objection if the weight and draw limit were done away with to allow for more creativity? Yall all just vote on the bows you like the most based on who pulled the most out of the most unlikely.

Offline willie

it seems kinda brittle for a bow limb, so no need to change the rules for that, just wondering if anyone knows what it is?         might use it for parts and pieces though
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:01:43 pm by willie »

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
I always liked the idea of up-cycling used wood, like turning old chair parts into a bow and documenting it while it's being built. But that wouldn't be a one-piece bow.
Another one was fishing out narrowish logs from a fire wood stack and splicing bits and pieces together (40 cm max per piece) into a single bow.

Offline sleek

Well go for it. It doesnt need to be a one piece. It can be a 4 piece if you can figure it out. Two piece take down with slide on tips to vary between recurve or straight levers or no tips to allow the bow to change styles and weight. Like I said.... Have fun :)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Sleek, just one vote here for keeping the draw length and weight limits -- that's what makes it a challenge (and a bow).

I'm waiting to find the wood I want to build from -- spring is just weeks away here, and haven't gone out to find something suitable yet. But I definitely will be building when I do, and I expect more people will join in as the weather warms up. It's going to be a very cool thread when things start hopping! :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline sleek

Well, ok i guess the rules stay as they are then.  :)

Offline Springbuck

I'm ok with dropping the draw weight restriction, but it still has to shoot like a bow.  Can't just LOOK like a bow and not be shootable.  Has to have SOME level of cast.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
willie,

Is the branch that dark throughout or just on the cut end? I've seen branch patterns like that in beech before, but I no of zero North American woods that are that dark in color. It could be spalted or mineralized resulting in that color. Was it a dead fall or standing dead by chance? It would also narrow things down to know where you are located? 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline willie

it was that dark when I cut it, and has not changed. the diameter of the cut end is about 3/4 inch. I wish the stick was bigger, as I might try to make a bow from it, about 3 foot long in the photo.
found on a beach in alaska, Do not know where to find more .....

Offline Aaron H

Looks like the rings are delaminating

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
 If found on an Alaska beach, that could have floated in from just about anywhere on the globe.  I did think of a US wood or two that dark, Persimmon and a few desert Acacia. Given where you found it however it could be anything from anywhere.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna