Author Topic: Bow making contest ( drawlength changed. Make it to your own draw length )  (Read 32179 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Eastern cottonwood sapling bow 63" ttt, 41# @ 28", I just finished final scraping wood this evening before dinner. Very happy to get through that, make 40 pounds, and and keep it in one piece.  There was quite a bit of camber and a few knots. Actually it shoots pretty good.

Seems to hold its shape so far, too.

I kept it wide to keep stresses down.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:30:32 am by PlanB »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline sapling bowyer

That's great PlanB! You have encouraged me to give cotton wood a try!
Time is short

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Sapling -- I sure wouldn't make it my first choice for a sapling bow, though. I'd prefer just about anything else. I just did it for this contest. It's quite soft, so you need very sharp tools. Having a sharply cambered back makes it even harder, and I really didn't think this was going to work out.

Some tips: This second time around I didn't hollow it. I now think hollowing of this wood  just concentrates the  strain at the edges and over-flexes them. Second time around, the bottom was just tillered flat.

Heat tempering and forming seems to work with Eastern cottonwood.

Length is tied to draw weight on this wood and sapling dia, and there's probably a limit to it. Might even be close to 40#. I started out with a longer stave, but once I got it bending I was only getting about 1 lb/inch draw.

Leaving the wood thicker would have created set or fretting. Incrementally piking gradually increased the force/draw to closer to 2 lb/in, without seriously increasing stack, or set, and I finally settled on 63" and 41# @ 28". On the other hand, I think if I'd gone much farther with piking, set would probably negate any increase in draw weight. I think I pretty much got the most I could out of this particular cottonwood sapling. If you call that a sweet spot, I think I hit it.

Anyway, it's a good challenge, if you take it on, and a stave from a bigger tree would probably be easier. Certainly teaches a lot to work with a marginal wood.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Raining today, I'll try to get a full draw pic tomorrow. I'll start putting a finish on it, too.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Rained overnight. Rained this morning, so I concentrated on getting a finish on. I got a couple coats of linseed oil on, and a handle wrap and some paint. The wrap is hemp. The pattern I used is on the limbs a stylized cottonwood leaf type I found on a photo of some pottery. Seemed appropriate! This afternoon it cleared up for a short time, so I was able to get a full draw in, too.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:26:49 am by PlanB »

Offline ajooter

Looks great B!  Nicely done with such a wood.

Offline Emmet

Nice work, I like it!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing some madrone and sumac bows here, too!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Looks good B!
Cotton wood huh, interesting.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
I've been wondering about just what kind of poplar that is, since poplar is usually described as a white (literally) wood. This stuff is often multicolored and seems pretty hard by comparison.

I finally figured it out tonight. What Home Depot probably sells as poplar is "yellow poplar" -- actually not a poplar, but tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipfera.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/poplar/

At least I know what it is now.

How did I miss this post the first time around? You guys need to keep finding rainbow poplar at the box stores on the down low. That's one of my secret places to get amazing wood for cheap. They don't know enough to separate it and charge more. Here's an end table I'm working on with one of the last pieces I picked up.

This is the piece of trim that I suspect is also poplar.

If you were to buy that heavily stained poplar from an exotic hardwood supplier it would cost at least 3 times as much, probably more.

Here's a few shots of the sumac I cut and split. I guess it was't as big as I posted before, but still pretty big for a sumac. That stuff has some really sticky sap. Can you make pitch glue from it? I was also much harder to split than I expected, having heard it was a notoriously soft wood. It's got some nice color to it that's for sure. I ended up with one whole stave and enough for 2 sets of billets.

It's florescent in UV as well. I reminds me of black locust both in color and how it splits.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Thanks Patrick!

Go Dakota!

Finally, a clear day. Few more shots of the cottonwood bow:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:24:05 am by PlanB »

Offline sleek

Wow. I rreally like that bow. Hell of a job!

Im looking forward to seeing what others come up with as well!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Whoops, I let the deadline slip us by. Id like to have had more participating members but we had a few and they tried hard.  So, if you participated as a bow builder on this thread email me with who you think should win. Dont vote for yourself.  I hope we dont tie lol.

Email me at rocketernally@Hotmail.com title it bow contest so i see it quick.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

I'm impressed by that cottonwood bow, that really awesome. Grows everywhere around here like a weed and it's very brittle and soft wood.
I like osage

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
I didn't realize I missed the deadline. :(  I haven't seen this thread around for a while and it slipped my mind.  I have one bow almost finished, the tulip poplar I salvaged from a piece of trim. Oh well, next time I suppose, providing we do another bad wood build.

FYI After working on the tulip poplar, I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "bad" wood, unless I just had an exceptional piece.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna