Author Topic: Another hunting season is over  (Read 2466 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Another hunting season is over
« on: February 19, 2016, 03:58:38 am »
  It has been a tough hunting season.  Bow season in our area runs from October to February 10 and there really wasn't much good hunting this year for me.  With the way my off days fell, I only had about ten days of decent conditions.  The remainder was mosquitoes, heat, and rain - none of which add to my outdoor experience.  I got tangled up with a big buck that was too smart for me this year, but I have plans for him for next year.  I did take home some venison and I was able to do some real quality scouting for next season on my last couple of days in the woods.  It is sort of a sad time to see the season end, the rut winding down, the packing away of the hunting gear, winterizing the camphouse, etc....  It is depressing to see those leaves blown over into the scrapes that are starting to be neglected!  It isn't so bad - I have the Tennessee Classic to look forward to. :D  Here is a picture taken from the stern of my canoe on my last day out.  It wasn't all bad  ;).
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline chamookman

Re: Another hunting season is over
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:23:49 am »
Nice ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:44:06 am »
Yep, but the way time flies for me now, it will be opening day again before you know it, nice buck, I would be happy with that for sure.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:37:55 am »
No venison for me this year, it's been awhile since that has happened. but leaving out this afternoon for a weekend of camping and tree rat hunting with my Son and youngest Brother. Should be fun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:42:04 am »
  Hope y'all have a great weekend.  I may do a little squirrel hunting myself. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 07:59:47 am »
Nice buck Howard.  Were you after another red stag?  It's strange to me that your season is just now over.  I finished up in late November.  Our late archery season lasts a little longer but I'm not a fan of sitting in a tree in freezing weather.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:06:38 am »
Beautiful! God blessed me with a successful season and my first snow deer in January, makes tracking a laid back experience, in fact tracking this year was delightful as my wife tracked the first one for me without any significant help (didn't tell her I could already see it 3 min before we got to it). Turkey bow season is just around the corner now. Congrats on the nice buck

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:17:04 am »
Thanks fellows. 
Naw, Clint - I haven't seen anymore red stags.  I bet that any of those that strayed off that preserve didn't make it through last year's hunting season.  I heard of a couple more that were harvested last year.  There just hasn't been any real cold weather to speak of down this way.  El Nino made it warm and raining down this way.  The canoe got a lot of use with all the high water and flooded timber.
Lumber Man, I envy you on the snow.  Haven't seen one flake down this far south. 

Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:24:28 am »
Nice pic Howard,
we had a warm hunting season here in Western New York, saw few deer moving but I did manage to put a deer in the freezer and thankful for it.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:18 pm »
Kevin, if it was warm in your neck of the woods then it was warm everywhere!  I would love to get a look at some of that country.  The pictures I have seen are beautiful.  When I was paddling out of the swamp I thought about this site and knew y'all would like that shot of that little guy in the bow.  I love a canoe and look forward to the high water.  This was a wet year.  A twelve foot ladder stand I put up a couple months ago was completely submerged!  You can sure get turned around when your landmarks are underwater. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:46:01 pm »
Way to go Howard..................meat in the frezzer
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 08:56:53 pm »
 Howard,
                 That looks like a successful season to me my friend...Looks like a nice buck from here...That old buck your after will keep things interesting for you next season...I was so thankful for my deer this year and enjoyed my time in the woods also, sooooo valuable...Looking forward to next season also...Your an ethical and good hunter and share your views from previous posts...
                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 06:49:05 am »
Thanks so much fellows.  Around the campfire is a great name for this section.  It is a lot like the talk around our campfires at the end of the day.  I am thankful to have you folks to communicate with.  It has extended my enjoyment of all things outdoors through those busy times when I can't do the things I love.  This forum is a little mini vacation for us!  Thanks for the kind words Don.  I am glad you had a good season.  We will get after them next year!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 05:14:39 am »
 That buck in a blue canoe picture has all the romantic charm of a classic deer hunting adventure. Unless he was a road kill that you tossed in the boat for the pic I'd say your season ended on a high note Howard.  :)
I'm with ya though, always hate to see the deer season come to a end. 
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.