Author Topic: endless natural string?  (Read 6721 times)

Offline loon

Re: endless natural string?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 09:35:15 pm »
If anyone is interested in some seeds from the Milkweed we have here let me know because I saved some for planting, I'm going to setup a planter around my house.  They do seem to grow better in areas where there is a good quantity of water and with rich soil, it's easy to get 4 to 5 foot long fibers

I really would if I had somewhere to grow them. Maybe a balcony in a pot? Or the roof of the building, in SoCal.
Could I store the seeds for... a few years?..
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:29:35 am by loon »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 09:08:01 am »
I don't know what kind of root ball Milkweed has but I would be inclined to think that it must be substantial.  If you were to try a planter I would go with as large a planter as you could get for maximum growth.  Seeds can be stored for years in a freezer or even a refrigerator, as long as they are kept dry.  If you want some seeds then PM me your address
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 02:40:43 pm »
If anyone is interested in some seeds from the Milkweed we have here let me know because I saved some for planting, I'm going to setup a planter around my house.  They do seem to grow better in areas where there is a good quantity of water and with rich soil, it's easy to get 4 to 5 foot long fibers

Richard, is that a true flax or is that a local name it has been given? Have you tested it for breaking strength compared to regular flax?

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »

Richard, is that a true flax or is that a local name it has been given? Have you tested it for breaking strength compared to regular flax?
It is not flax, it is milkweed. Different genus. Not sure of how different the fibers are in strength compared to flax. Agave is also different plant that has white fibers.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »
New Zealand flax is a leafy thing kinda like Yucca. Borderline hardy up here. We used to have some in the yard. No flower spike if I remember right.