Author Topic: Backing thickness  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Academonicon

Backing thickness
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:41 am »
I've got a maple backing on this bow I'm working on, and it's about 1/8" thick, but I'm going to have to take that down a little bit due to clamp-impressions from when I glued it down.  How thick/thin does a wood backing need to be?  Does it matter?  Is a thinner backing more prone to break because it's weaker, or less prone because it's more flexible?

Thanks folks!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Backing thickness
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:12:43 am »
I cant tell you how thin you can go, you just never know. I like to start around .187 and work it down to .125. I see no good reason why yours wont be fine if the grain and health of the backer is perfect, as it should be.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 11:23:24 am »
How bad are the dents?  Maybe you could steam them out with a wet rag and an iron.  That has worked for me on small/shallow dents. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 12:16:54 pm »
I would try what TimBo suggested first. I've never worked with maple but with hickory backed bows I've reduced the backing to just over 1/16" with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 02:10:13 pm »
Steam them out!

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 02:17:59 pm »
  You can steam them out but I would be worried that they broke some fibers. I would go with your plan and sand them out.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:11 am »
Like Pat, I've used hickory less than 1/16" thick... some of them I've reduced after they were glued on.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer