Author Topic: primitive tools you say? have you seen my pecker?  (Read 3489 times)

riverrat

primitive tools you say? have you seen my pecker?
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:32:38 pm »
 i didnt put it in flint knapping as its not flint knapped. however it is shaped by using another rock to sharpen the point. then the pointed pecker is used to peck divots in rocks for use as bearing blocks for the bow drill. Tony

Offline Chief RID

Re: primitive tools you say? have you seen my pecker?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:48:07 am »
You are the man, riverrat. You got me to look. Excuse my ignorance, but these are used to put down force on the drill, correct? Do you know if these have been found in the SE US.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:14:41 am »
I just lost a bearing block like these last week, that sucked.  :'(

You've made a couple at once  :o , how Long do you peck or grind at one? preferences regarding material (for the block)?
Don't shoot!

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:12:15 am »
not long, most about 15 minutes, a few less than a hour. as for originals found in se U.S. , im sure there are. i found a "original" where i get my stones from to make my own.im in the great lakes region. i have that "original" believe it or not, my first actual fire came the same day i found it. its good medicin far as im concerned.i often wonder who it belonged to. theres even peck marks on the opposite side as if the person making it thought about using that side then decided to use the other side.i often wonder could it have belonged to a Erie ? they were wiped out before Euros reached the Americas.but they did live in this area.but it could of been any number of tribes that lived here. although by history books you would swear no one claimed this area as home due to the black swamp. but i think that has more to do with stealing the land than actual historic reasons.the winner makes the history.Tony

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 07:20:12 am »
Thanks for that info Tony. I really need to get out to the local res. and see what they have in the cultural center. I have looked in the past but really had no idea what I was looking at. I need to be a bit more studious in the future.

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 07:36:26 am »
original

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:37:01 am »
Nice pecker  >:D ;) ;D What kind of stone are you using for the bearing block, I use soap stone
and it don't need much pecking. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:38:05 am »
just river rock. i use that hard pecking stone on a sample . if it pecks it, i use it, if it breaks a little off the pecking stone i know its too hard of rock for a bearing block. i then use it for a hammer stone if its rounded and smooth.if its no good for that, i toss it . many more stones out there lol.  Tony

riverrat

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:48:28 am »
im thinking they used a simular tool to make stone pipes.not the red pipe stone ones, but the ones found round these parts out of common stones. you can peck out the bowl, then peck the outside of the pipe to shape, then youd have to drill the hole in the stone to the bowl for the pipe stem to fit. but yea. im thinking on making me a pipe done just this way. im gonna put some serious thought into this. i want a effigy pipe. so im going to need a idea of what i want then find a suitable shaped rock to start out with.Tony

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:51 pm »
Interesting project, the pipe. I'd sure love to see it if it gets done.  ;D
Don't shoot!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 02:06:26 pm »
that's too cool riverrat, I also did some pecking along with some grinding on a club head. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 07:43:20 pm »
thats sweet Ed! Tony