Author Topic: What is good leather for a Lakota style quiver?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Part time Archer

What is good leather for a Lakota style quiver?
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:00 pm »
Building a Lakota style quiver soon. Ordering off of crazy crow and need help choosing correct leather choice. Any insight?

Offline Peatreg

Re: What is good leather for a Lakota style quiver?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »
I've ordered a couple of their elk hides but I had a big issue with the sueded side of the commercial hides transferring lint as it were on everything. Clothing, car seats, etc. Their German tanned hides are probably the nicest that they offer and is sueded on both sides much like braintanned. It's also pretty thick which would hold its shape pretty good as well. I made one with rawhide reinforcing the top and bottom of the quiver to help maintain its shape better. The rawhide on the top is outside the quiver with the top edge rolled over and stitched below the bottom edge of the rawhide at the top of the fringe to keep it from falling out.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:37 pm »

I'm partial to hair on hide quivers
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:16 pm »
Bub, hope there's room in your suitcase . . . . . .
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:03:41 pm »
Peatreg .... that rig is gorgeous!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Part time Archer

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:04:01 am »
Thanks Peatreg . getting ready to order soon this should help. Quiver looks great!
Bubby nice quiver adding some fur to mine for sure.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:35:15 pm »
 Part Time Archer, a little something to think about, I think your leather should be soft enough so that when you bend over it kinda collapse and hold arrows from falling out, Just my .02 worth. Bob