Author Topic: Arrow chuck  (Read 1833 times)

Offline DC

Arrow chuck
« on: February 02, 2016, 02:42:09 pm »
I like to sand and reduce my arrows by chucking them up in a drill and spinning them against my belt sander. Too often though the chuck cuts into the shaft, loosens up and fires the arrow across the room. Does anyone have a real clever idea for holding the arrow securely in the drill? I tried standing on the other side of the belt sander so the rotation was pushing the arrow into the drill but it still loosens and wobbles a lot. It's a bit better than bare shaft testing my arrows with a belt sander but not much. Any ideas?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow chuck
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:47:57 pm »
You might try squaring off the end so each lug of the chuck has a flat surface to grip on. You might try spinning it backwards too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 03:21:29 pm »
Thanks Pat. Something in your suggestion got the juices flowing and I came up with this. It's basically a collet that will go from .300 to .380". I just slip it on the arrow and clamp the chuck so the jaws hit the fingers. Spreads the load and keeps the drill jaws from crushing the wood. Holds real tight too.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 03:23:34 pm »
Good thinking DC