Author Topic: flint knife.  (Read 1653 times)

riverrat

flint knife.
« on: January 31, 2016, 01:03:08 pm »
well mine isnt so pretty. the stone is difficult to knapp. im not sure what its called, got a big piece in a trade a while back.anyways had some green mulberry branch i made a handle from. but the next day after hafting the blade the handle started splitting. so i wrapped it with hemp string i had. made a nice firm grip that way. also stopped the split. i filled the split in with pine pitch.and ground it down first then wrapped it.ive thrown this knife into a card board box. im not afraid of breaking it its a tank lol but im getting good at throwing it and sticking it into that box. i also used it recently to cut up a huge beef roast into 4 more manageable sized roasts. { fit in the crock pot }. its functional. not as sharp as i had hoped for, but works.started out as a atlatl dart point but ended up too big.Tony

Offline Tracker0721

Re: flint knife.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:20:55 pm »
Okay, is this The Hunted or something? I thought it was funny when he made his throwing knife out of flint in that movie, guess it's a more serious thing.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »
just thought, hey if you can toss a steel knife why not a stone one? i mean there were axes made with stone heads that take much more abuse. not to mention arrow and spear points

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:18:22 am »
Good knife, since its your knife and you made it do what ever the heck you want to do with it.  If it breaks make another one.   Thanks for posting keep them coming. 8)

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:54:53 am »
I think we should all make throwing knives and have a competition. It sounds pretty fun.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:07:09 am »
hey Tracker im up for that. im real good with this one. its all about distance from the target. i can toss it by holding the handle or the blade and get it to stick most times. both at different distances, but i know what they are :) Tony

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »
I threw knives for years growing up, quit in Afghanistan when my buddy stuck one in another buddy(squad leader)'a foot. Buttttt I'll have to try this. How thick is it?

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 09:11:54 pm »
it fluctuates a little between 1/4 in. and 3/8 in. thick.Tony

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:16:06 pm »
Seems like a good thickness. When I finally get back home I'll bop one out. Had the perfect blade but I thinned it out for an arrowhead