Author Topic: MoJam 2016 - red oak BOARD bow challenge!  (Read 27041 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
MoJam 2016 - red oak BOARD bow challenge!
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:43:12 am »
We are fortunate to have many enthusiastic bowyers who attend MoJam. I'd like to challenge ya'll to a bit of friendly competition!

Build yourself a red oak BOARD bow. Bring it to MoJam. We'll shoot together a round of the full 3D course. Also the "Running Pig". Clout shoot too!

We'll find a means for keeping some kinda score and come up with appropriate awards. Award presentations will likely be Sat night at the potluck dinner!

Rules/regulations are simple enough. Both limbs to be from red oak and be considered by a reasonable person (me) :o to be a traditional style and shot in a traditional style (for example, not held by feet or loosed with a trigger). Overlays, built-up handles, glued-on flipped tips, any backing (except fg) acceptable ... even encouraged. If ya have question re acceptability, just post up here.

I'm looking forward to some good ole fun and bow eye-candy!! Hope all of you participate so we can see what can be done with the bow wood we love to poo-poo!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:57:18 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Onebowonder

Re: MoJam 2016 - red oak BOARD bow challenge!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:26:22 am »
Now ya done it Mike!   :o   ::)  8)

OneBow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:16:34 pm »
Will soon be starting on one of Home Depot's primo boards!

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:33:06 pm »
I was unaware that home depot had any " primo" boards 😋
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 12:39:38 pm »
I was unaware that home depot had any " primo" boards 😋

So is Home Depot

I go to my local specialty lumber place.  I prolly pay a few nickels more, but that's OK.  Home Depot's stuff is often pretty rough treated prior to making it to the sales floor/warehouse.  Not that they cannot work, they certainly can!  ...but if I'm going to compete with a sharpshooter like Mike, I'm going to grasp for every millimeter of advantage I can possibly find!   >:D 8) :laugh:

OneBow

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:59 pm »
What if I use white oak and dye it red?  :laugh: O:)
Springfield, MO

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 01:12:16 pm »
What about using RO as the backing on a laminate bow with an alternative wood as the belly and core lams?

OneBow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 01:25:51 pm »
Yes, the big box stores do have good red oak. Just be choosy. Made many a bow from Home Depot red oak.

I went to Mojam in 2003.

LOL. It was as hot and humid as I expected it to be as i did training at Ft Leonard Wood in the early 70's.

Anyway, I bruught some red oak boards wit me and gave one away then.wit

Would love to be in contact with the recepient of that board.

Great idea. I'd love to go back. Too far from NH.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 02:56:23 pm »
What if I use white oak and dye it red?  :laugh: O:)

;D   naughty naughty feller!    ;D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 02:57:36 pm »
What about using RO as the backing on a laminate bow with an alternative wood as the belly and core lams?

OneBow

No problemo!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 04:02:20 pm »
Over my lunch break I went out and bought some pretty nice Red Oak Quartersawn.  This piece is 4.5 inches wide, just shy of 1.5 thick, and about 4.5 feet long.  I should be able to rip some nice limb length lams out of this one...  ;D ;D ;D

OneBow

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 04:23:50 pm »
Welp, i think i have a good one picked out. Hope i can make it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
<snip> . . . Hope i can make it.
You're bringing the giant Air Conditioned Tent!  You have to make it!   >:( >:( >:(

OneBow

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 06:02:15 pm »
I have the ability to make RO look like Osage. I will bring somenice RO bows just remember they LOOK like Osage. ;)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 06:50:46 pm »
I have the ability to make RO look like Osage. I will bring somenice RO bows just remember they LOOK like Osage. ;)

Another naughty naughty fellow!   >:D