Author Topic: Strange things while hunting.  (Read 10705 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Strange things while hunting.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 02:06:48 pm »
   This happen about 16,17 years ago.

I was bow hunting a place in a Sleepy creek WMA. I had scouted this place the winter before. This place had a nice natural bottle neck. Over a couple miles from a light any which way.  6 Inch's of snow been on the ground for 3 days, gets light across the hollow 40 yards.

Hung a bow with a API climber half way took off the tree. I take out the bio's laying in the hollows a pack theres arrows bent dobble still in the holder laying down the hill. Grunt call, bio's hanging with the bow. After a couple hours a couple doe's a 1 1/2 old fokie. I spot a arrow sticking 20 feet below me.

I could'nt stand it any longer.

Here's what blows my mine. He had a set of cheep bio's but not so in his big pack.  A RUGUR super read hawk in 44. box shells 2 out of it. A CUSTOM SINKER KNIFE, GPS,TOPOS a water pur. pump and tabs. 7 MRIS 2 canteens,water proof lighters,matchs,survival as well as nice doc. kit. Coffie,cream,sugar,salt,pepper. Head light batterys, grut calls. real rattleing antlers,turkey mouth calls.

New API climber

Forgot he also had a sleeping bag and matt. Bran-new HIGH COUNTRY BOW 6, 4 BLADE WASPS. He used  ALM. 2216. He shot a good heavy arrows. I  shot those when I shot a compound.

Here's what I came up with. He shot and missed a deer from his stand. Climbed down started to take his stand off the tree. cold,mad bent his arrows. Through his pack down the hollow left his stand and bow were it was. Walked out.

I thought maybe he had a heart attack or something. But after a couple hours we'd went past his own tracks comeing. But I knew he was headed the right way to a parking area in VA. A good 4 miles for my set up at this hollow.

I never found out who he was or why he just up and left everything.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 09:05:05 am »
I have posted this before but another wierd evening for sure.

I have a lot of people calling me crazy every time I tell this story, but it did happen.

I was bowhunting on the Dixie Archers hunting club one evening, didn't see any deer so I left about dark thirty for the 40 mile drive home. I left the club land, turned left on the Sally Burns road and drove north. When I got to the intersection of the Sally Burns Road and Mt Hester road I was adjacent to some land my friend Ralph Waldrep hunted.

I saw a light at the end of a hay field on the land and assumed it was the headlights of Ralph's truck.

Always one to compare notes with my hunting buddies I stopped my truck, got out on the opposite side from the light and shouted "do any good Ralph". It was a very still evening and I was sure my voice would carry the 300 yards to where I saw the light but I got no response.

When I walked around my truck and started down a field road toward the light I could tell it wasn't headlights that I was seeing across the field. It was a round sphere of bright light about the size of a Volkswagen. It appeared to be hovering silently a few feet off the ground.

Directly behind the object was a steep hill rising several hundred feet to the top of a ridge, to the left of it was a creek bottom and an open hollow that extended for miles.

When I took a couple more steps in its direction, the object started drifting soundlessly to the left toward the open creek bottom.

When the object drifted to a point above the creek bottom it left to the east. I mean it really left. We are talking Star Trek, warp speed left. It went from being a Volkswagen sized orb of light to a pin prick of light disappearing into the night sky about 10,000ft up, all in the blink of an eye.

I was a helicopter crew chief in the Army back in the 60s so I know aircraft and altitude.

After it left I stood there awestruck thinking,” Well, I actually saw one".

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 09:18:11 am »
Eric. "YOU SEEN A SIGHTING" Were you close the  Bark River?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 10:04:09 am »
I've told this story but...
 I was hunting at a area where a cane bottom and hardwoods came together. I'd been in my stand for about an hour, the sun was down and the hunting woods were feeling pretty good. All of a sudden a brown thrasher(bird) flew up next to me making a heck of a racket. He started dive bombing me and squawking so I decided to get down and go back to camp.
 The next evening found me in the same stand. After sunset here he came again, the same brown thrasher. I tried to sit and wait til he was done but that never happened so again I headed back to camp, frustrated! As I was walking back I realized it wasn't me he was after. I was in full camo but the bow I was carrying was a osage selfbow with a copperhead backing. Being a ground bird one of the birds worst enemy is probably a copperhead and it was my bow that the bird was running off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:26 pm »
I have been accosted by dogs, owls, hawks and other birds while sitting on stand. It is usually something, sometimes unknown that they are after. removing the face mask never fails to end the confrontation.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 05:35:53 pm »
Im not calling you crazy Eric...

In fact that last sentence you wrote,speaks volumes to the truth.only someone who has actually been in that position,reads exactly what you wrote and felt.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 06:55:12 pm »
My sighting was west of Cherokee Alabama, a few miles from the Mississippi line and the Natchez Trace Parkway
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:59:03 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 10:39:30 pm »
Are there any local stories or tales in that area, Eric?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 08:33:35 am »
A lot of the guys would listen to police scanners at work to kill time on midnight shift. During the period when I saw the UFO the police scanners were buzzing about reports of "strange lights" being seen in the area.

Offline sonny

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 08:10:48 pm »
Sitting in one of my favorite treestands overlooking a small clearing, a flock of turkeys fed through about twenty-five yards
out in front of me. Several minutes after they had moved on, one of them came back and stopped with it's body fully concealed by a tree, stuck it's head out from behind the tree and looked right up at me. It's as if one of them said "hey, go check out the guy sitting up the tree back there..that's what you want to look out for."  I just sat there shaking my head..

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 09:46:30 am »
I was on a bench on the side of a mountain on Skyline Mgt area in N Alabama once and heard a hound running deer in my direction.

7 deer headed my way at a casual trot, the hound was about 100 yards behind them. I was in a ground blind in big woods with huge trees all around me.

As the deer passed my blind at about 20 yards a doe took a huge leap to the side and stood behind a big tree looking in the direction of the hound.

The rest of the deer continued on their way up the mountain in a tight group. The hound appeared and followed the trail of the herd.

When the hound was about 50 yards past the hiding doe she casually stepped out from behind the tree and took a leisurely stroll back the way she came in the first place. 

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 11:28:11 am »
Deer that have been run by dogs for eons have a variety of stuff taught to them by there mothers and sisters. When you get that opp. to watch them in action it is a real treat.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 08:38:17 pm »
My father saw a doe being chased/trailed by a dog that had had enough of the pursuit. She stopped running at the top of a gradual rise and turned to face the dog. The goofy black lab never saw her stop and just kept trailing, nose to the ground. By the time the dog finally saw the doe now right in front of him, it was too late. She had reared up and landed a hoof right between his eyes. My dad said it sounded like a line drive off of a wooden bat. The dog dropped lifeless like a sack of potatoes, the doe having split the skull wide open. She snorted, stomped, and slowly walked away. Apparently the fight part of fight or flight comes after they're all out of flight as far as deer are concerned.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline phyankord

• like to do work with my hands more than my mind.
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:39 am »
I have posted this before but another wierd evening for sure.

I have a lot of people calling me crazy every time I tell this story, but it did happen.

I was bowhunting on the Dixie Archers hunting club one evening, didn't see any deer so I left about dark thirty for the 40 mile drive home. I left the club land, turned left on the Sally Burns road and drove north. When I got to the intersection of the Sally Burns Road and Mt Hester road I was adjacent to some land my friend Ralph Waldrep hunted.

I saw a light at the end of a hay field on the land and assumed it was the headlights of Ralph's truck.

Always one to compare notes with my hunting buddies I stopped my truck, got out on the opposite side from the light and shouted "do any good Ralph". It was a very still evening and I was sure my voice would carry the 300 yards to where I saw the light but I got no response.

When I walked around my truck and started down a field road toward the light I could tell it wasn't headlights that I was seeing across the field. It was a round sphere of bright light about the size of a Volkswagen. It appeared to be hovering silently a few feet off the ground.

Directly behind the object was a steep hill rising several hundred feet to the top of a ridge, to the left of it was a creek bottom and an open hollow that extended for miles.

When I took a couple more steps in its direction, the object started drifting soundlessly to the left toward the open creek bottom.

When the object drifted to a point above the creek bottom it left to the east. I mean it really left. We are talking Star Trek, warp speed left. It went from being a Volkswagen sized orb of light to a pin prick of light disappearing into the night sky about 10,000ft up, all in the blink of an eye.

I was a helicopter crew chief in the Army back in the 60s so I know aircraft and altitude.

After it left I stood there awestruck thinking,” Well, I actually saw one".

that was either a ghost orb (yes those are a thing) or.......           ALIENS.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 08:39:06 am »
"Alien Bears?"