Author Topic: Fly fishing  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Fly fishing
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 07:18:26 pm »
I've been practicing my cast and definitely need some practice on "smoothly" letting out more line. But once I get it out I had a 20 yard cast going and hitting a piece of dry ground(snow covering everything else) that was only about 3-4 feet in diameter. I'm getting pumped. Anyone know of something that would work in a lake(rivers frozen) for trout, bass, or white fish in the winter? The lake is all frozen shut but where it drains into the creek it's ice free. Creeks are closed till April.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »
Cant lose anywhere with a wooly bugger.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 08:33:06 pm »
Cant lose anywhere with a wooly bugger.

..... with a little split shot tied on about 8-10 inches up from the fly, enough to bounce it along the bottom letting out into the deeper water ......

Also use in winter a salmon egg pattern, bright pink, almost ridiculous looking, fished the same way as the woolly bugger, with and without the shot, depending how deep and fast the water is. 

Tight lines
Russ

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:13 pm »
I have one I got in a fly trade on here years ago. I didn't know what to try and use it for down here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 08:55:09 pm »
Eddie you can catch anything on a bugger that eats shrimp or squid. I like cone head buggers because they are heavy and get down if need be.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »

Yep that or a "Mudler Minnow"

Wayne

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 02:16:46 pm »
Look into Tenkara as well. Tons of fun, Not so much dependant on your casting skills. I have 3 fly rods in my truck just about year round.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 03:33:07 pm »
I just saw an Oregon Outdoors episode on tenkara. That looks like my kind of fishing! When I was a kid I used to grab a short rod and go crashing up little streams and creeks. To brushy for casting or fly fishing but they would have been perfect for tenkara. Now I know about it and I'm too old to go crashing up creeks anymore.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 04:15:44 pm »
It is a lot of fun, more about catching than it is about casting. My Tenkara rod is a 16 footer.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:33 pm »
16 foot! I'm thinking a 9.5' fly rod is long. Holy moly. Well I found a river that's open and in frozen, been practing the past few days but am thinking it's time for me to go try in water. My dad has suddenly laid claim to his pole so I'm thinking about going to the sportsmans warehouse and just buying the kit I saw there. 4 section 9.5' 5/6 rod with a arbor reel, fly case and few flies, and a case for it all. 180 bucks but I can't remember the maker.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 05:38:34 pm »
Tracker - Orvis has a decent kit - 8.5 or 9 foot 5 weight rod, reel, line, tippet and a case for abt $169.  Can't go wrong with Orvis, IMO.

What is Tenkara?  I briefly googled it.  Are we talking about a super long telescoping pole with a bit of tippet off the end?  Kinda like the old bamboo poles that got the bait out there thru sheer length of pole?  No reel - just lift the pole to bring the fish in?  Sounds like just the right thing to get my kid on the stream with me - do ya think????   

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 08:06:20 pm »
Whoa, had no idea orvis had a kit so cheap. Found a shop that throws in a case, fly box, and a dozen flies for 199. Though orvis sent me a gift card for 10 bucks already

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:15 am »
Tracker - Orvis has a decent kit - 8.5 or 9 foot 5 weight rod, reel, line, tippet and a case for abt $169.  Can't go wrong with Orvis, IMO.

What is Tenkara?  I briefly googled it.  Are we talking about a super long telescoping pole with a bit of tippet off the end?  Kinda like the old bamboo poles that got the bait out there thru sheer length of pole?  No reel - just lift the pole to bring the fish in?  Sounds like just the right thing to get my kid on the stream with me - do ya think????   

Yep, thats the one. Due to the telescoping nature of the pole it can be used as short or as long as needed. It also packs very well. Mine has a small length of twine on the end, with a knot. All you do is use a girth hitch to attach your line to the twine. You can still cast, or you can bob your fly on the surface, and it is every bit as exciting as fishing top water for bass. the fish will explode out of the water to get a fly, even if it is a few inches above the water. Another plus is you don't spook the fish with the line hitting the water.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 08:00:52 pm »
Skipping that fly across the water is called "dapping" in England.  It can be deadly to fly-shy trout that have seen every presentation the local fly fishing shop offers!

I scored a wonderful custom made 5 wt fly rod in a trade in here and I am seriously thinking this summer is gonna be a lot of fun.  I know of a few nice stockponds where a canoe and some light poppers will provide me with bluegill feasts fit for a king!  I might even try flicking fleas at these panty-waist effeminate Black Hills trout.  Be danged if I will wear the "just right" vest, waders, hat, etc....I am going in the creek with flipflops, cut off jeans, and a PBR t-shirt. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Adam

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »
I don't know JW, I've always heard trout prefer to be caught by someone with a proper hat ;)