Author Topic: Fly fishing  (Read 8644 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Fly fishing
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:07:45 am »
Well, my dad hates it, no one else I know does it, but whenever I talk about making my own bows and arrows and stone points I always feel weird then talking about throwing rapalas and bass boats. Been interested in fly fishing forever but am finally taking the plunge. Any of you guys and gals fly fish? Any suggestions on equipment or tips and tricks? Mostly gonna be going after trout in the river. I got a couple books and DVDs but am debating building my own rod or not.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline chamookman

Re: Fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 03:51:01 am »
Ask around and see if You can find someone to take You under their wing and get You started.. I'd wait before building a rod - wait and see, You'll now better after a bit of practice what style of rod that You want. Where Ya located ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 08:15:59 am »
I dabble in flyfishing and really enjoy it. You mention river fishing so I will suspect you may need a 6-7 weight rod/line. I fish mosty mountain streams and catch 4-10 inch trout and I use 4 weight rod with double taper floating line. Different tyoe lines can do different jobs, from casting small light flys to heavy large bugs or streamers. The last 5-9 feet of tippet can also vary in size and weights for what you are casting. Lots of variables to choose from. What kind of water and what kind/size of fish will determine what set-up you will need.
Mudhole.com offers rod building material and has lots of sales.
Good luck and enjoy the journey
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:36:48 am »
I really enjoy it but don't get out as much as I'd like.  One thing I wish I knew in the beginning is that the line has a very large bearing on casting.  A good line will make a so so rod feel and cast great and it is more cost effective than buying a really expensive rod.  I would also look into fly tying.  That can be as fun as fishing.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 10:57:29 am »
What Adam said.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 11:14:04 am »
Well my mom knows one guy who's a world class steel head fly fisher, so maybe I'll have too see if he's into taking a new guy out, though I'm just sticking to the Kettle and Columbia river. We have a lot of really good mountain lakes too here in NE Washington but I'd imagine the river will be a bit easier to start. My biggest fish out of the kettle river was a 23" rainbow trout and I caught it by throwing a fly me and my brother made with my spinning reel. Which we made flies for a year or so but that was 10-12 years ago! I'll definitely have to get back into that. Buying flies is probably like buying arrows, a lot cheaper to make em yourself.

I found a fly pole and reel in my dads fishing room. It's a Cortland Brown Topaz 5/6 with 5 weight WF F line. Seems like it wouldn't be a bad start. Though by the dust I'd imagine it hasn't been touched in the 10 years since he was given it.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »
My wife's cousin is Jimbo Busse, google him. I have a 9 wght and a 3-4wght. The big one for Largemouth Bass and saltwater and the little one for Pan fish.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 03:01:16 am »
theres so much to know. i was fortunate enough to have a local tying club that meets weekly. as far as my top pointers go, watch the river, ( dont just jump in and start casting). follow the hatches. and just get out there. regarding casting, keep your arm tight to your body as if holding a book in your armpit. there should be little to no wrist action at all. its a forearm movement from 10 oclock to 12 oclock.
as tying goes, keep your tails only about the same length as the hookshank, dont start too tightly on your deer hair, and wrap your bodies, hackles, etc. opposite direction as you wrap your thread. cheers bud

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:11 am »
Love it. I live in a state riddled with trout streams and a few are Blue Ribbons. I will fish for anything that will eat my bugs. Bass, gills, chubs, trout and so on. My best advice? Buy a good rod right off the bat and don't dink with the cheapys. They DO NOT cast the same no matter how much they look the same. I learned that quick after watching Drew cast effortlessly in front of me. If you spend $200-400 on the rod only, you will have something.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 10:33:05 am »

I found a fly pole and reel in my dads fishing room. It's a Cortland Brown Topaz 5/6 with 5 weight WF F line. Seems like it wouldn't be a bad start. Though by the dust I'd imagine it hasn't been touched in the 10 years since he was given it.

that will get you started just fine! replace the line, and cast in the yard then hit the river..   Most newbies get hung up with all the little details, fly size, leader size/length, hatch match, and so on.   Hit a local fly shop for some suggested flies, and then just go.  The river and fish will help you figure things out, casting, mending and line control are the big things to learn river and how the current effects your line/fly.   

If you get frustrated, take a break and just slow things down.  If there are other fly fisherman on the river, watch and learn or talk with them, same with the people at the fly shop.

Good luck, take pics and remember just being in the river is a blessing! 
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 03:29:42 pm »
     Go for it!  You will love it.  Get with some one that does fly fish, and they can point out your mistakes.  Practice at home, without a fly, learn the basic types of casting, standard, roll cast, tower cast, bow and arrow cast, and practice the proper arm movements, like they said, don't use your wrist, the rod tip does the work.  Also when doing a roll cast, always tip your rod out away from your body, so the the fly does not catch you.  When you practice, check for wind knots.  They are knots that form, from the tippet being whipped, like a bull whip, or snapping the rod tip.  The set up you have is fine.  When you get more into it, and can afford it, get a G. Loomis, or if you really want to spend some money on the Rolls Royce, of fly rods, order a Morgan.  You will have to wait, but it is piece of art work, and extremely well made, and it is like a part of your body.  But he may not be around for too much longer, last I heard he was not in good health.  His Girlfriend, has been helping him, and doing much of the work.  His rods are known, and bought all around the world.  NOT CHEAP!  You could buy a very fine rifle, for what one of his rods will cost you.  Anyway, once you get the hang of it, you will like it much more than a spinning reel, or bait casting reel.  I first got started, using a cheap K-Mart reel, and a cheap Kmart rod, I used it for sea trout fishing, and bass fishing, with a stepped leader, it worked great, and I learned a lot with it.  I have a couple of nicer trout rods, but no Loomis, or sigh..... Morgans.  Fly tying is like bow, and arrow making, or flint knapping, you will get hooked, on it no matter what your beginning flies look like.  By the way, ugly flies will work fine also, from my own experience, and I read an article where a top notch fly tyer, would not try to make a museum quality fly, when on the river, or lake, or where ever, but a crude resemblance of what ever was hatching, or the trout, were feeding on, worked just fine.  I have caught bass, on nothing more than a bare hook, and a coco plum leaf.  Fish aren't fly critics, just wary, and hungry.  Once you get the basic casting techniques, down, then try to finesse your presentation, so that the fly, lands on the water surface, as if it just dropped out of the air, or lit there, not with a splash.  Learn how to loop your line, so the fly does not drag, in the current. And always keep your line clean. There is a lot to learn, but you can get by, and have a fantastic time, just getting out there, and doing what you can, and you WILL catch fish, regardless of your present skill.  Have fun, and get at it, before the season ends.  Keep reading the books, and watching the dvd's etc.  Enjoy.

Wayne
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:36:57 pm by stickbender »

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:22 am »
So in primitive fly fishing, would a selfrod be a cane pole?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 07:13:17 am »
Nope! Even a bamboo rod is glued together. Still not a selfrod :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:51 am »
If its just a cane it would be. Split cane rod is quite technical. But heck bamboo is bamboo ether way. No reason a little glue makes it modern. I mean we use glue on our bows right

Offline Stoker

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 01:29:53 pm »
It would have to be in the Backed rod of the month as a BBBBBB  ;)

If you are looking for something that is addictive you will find it in fly fishing and tying... But dang is it fun
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano