Author Topic: First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)  (Read 50059 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - More Pics 04/07)
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2008, 12:06:48 am »
Looking good Bernie. Nothing like a little work-out with the draw knife to keep that youthful appearance. ;D

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:05 am »
Hmmmm - I think I'll go in my "Gory Hole Room" and scrape/shave on some of my scraps right now, Rich - LOL

BTW, I noticed that "hinge look" in the picture but you don't see it when there in person. I looked at it while Mike bent it and he looked at it while I did. I am not sure if it is the angle of the pic, or the background of my troser leg edge, or what is making it appear that way in the pic but thankfully (so far) no actual hinge on either limb. I was wishing I had taken more pics, after I saw the pic, but I was into it too much yesterday, and Mike doesn't think about the camera unless I ask him to - LOL.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2008, 11:36:36 pm »
You got her bending now - it's gittin there ;D. Lookin good.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2008, 07:42:19 pm »
Well, Made quite a bit of progress on "It" Yesterday (Sunday PM), and will get to that, with some pics, shortly.

First though. Mike hasn't had a chance to get any further with his bow with the three knot holes - will get pics when he does. However he did break out what he calls his "Painted Bow", so we could shoot it some during breaks in working on mine. Part of the reason is because this is basically the shape and type that I am shooting for with mine. Main difference is mine will be lower weight, and does have a few more character features. His bow will show what I'm after, and it is a real neat little bow. It is A 58" Osage Selfbow and is quick, and darned near dead in the hand for such a short little sweetheart. Also pretty strong, 56# at 27" (or 28", I forget), for as thin as it is (front to back). I, of course, can not pull it as far as he can and therefore had to use my thumb nuckle as my anchor point. Even at that, it shot real well for me, and with nice authority and litle to no hand shock. I was always impressed with the looks of the bow and even more so now that I've shot it some. Makes me sure how well I will like mine if it turns out as much like the "Painted" one as we think "It" will. BTW, Mike painted the center of the bow, put some NA design bands near each end of the painted area, and painted an arrow on the back in the painted area.

So here is a preview of "It" (we hope) in the form of Mikes "Painted Bow":

Mike with "Painted Bow" at Full Draw:

''Yours truly" with "PB", at my abreviated draw - what a nice shooter it is:

We did that shooting mostly while my bow was cooling off after we had dry heated it to induce some more Reflex in the one limb - to match the natural Reflex in the other limb. However, before we did that, I thinned and narrowed (taperd the tip) the other limb some. I knew I would need to do that with both limbs but not untill after the bending process on the one - just in case I needed more "room" to correct any miss-cues. After shaping the one limb a little we set up for the bending. You will notice the "High tech" "Caul" I brought along (in the form of chunks of Osage log pieces, to be cut up for knife handles, bow parts, etc.). It just happened to fill the bill perfectly. We will try to take the tip down almost to the work bench, to allow room for a little relaxing after the heat and cooling period:

Once the heat was applied (Mike demonstrating how to heat without Crisco and still not scorching the limb, as I did a little last time - LOL) the squeeze clamp was tightened down on the tip:

We couldn't have asked for better results, IMO:

After that I worked on thinning the belly (mostly scraping with draw knife and using course sandpaper) and narrowing the tip of the limb just bent, and then both limbs, to bring both tips to more similar floor tiller. Later, following more belly thinning, it was time to start tree tillering with the long string and then plenty of belly thinning, exercising limbs, and checking progress. AT one point I took this pic and Mike figured we were about at 40 -to 45# - at brace height - LOL. During this work I was also rounding and shaping the edges some - for looks and safty for the wood:

More thinning, exercising, and checking followed and at the end of the afternoon both Mike and I were feeling I'd had a good afternoon of progress. He told me he felt I had reached the point where, if I felt up to it ("at my own speed" he cautioned), I could take it home with me and continue those processes, and start shaping the handle a little. I told Mike he could count on the fact that, if I got scared or uncomfortable with any part of it, - I would STOP! I'm liking this bow too well to do something dumb and blow it (please, Lord). I took a couple pics this AM, just to show where I ended up yesterday. The pics are taken from a little above to show more of the character of the limbs, I hope. I thought the first one might have a little to much clutter in the background for easy eyeballin', so I took the second on my wife's dinning room table (before she got up - LOL):

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:49:12 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/14)
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 09:33:50 am »
Sorry, the update date didn't take on the first post i guess - Duh!
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 12:11:06 pm »
Nice bow and looks like you are coming right along on yours. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:10 pm »
About time for some nocks and a string :).. Ready to see it fling some arras..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2008, 02:10:20 pm »
Does Mike want to have his bow considered for BOM?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline ber643

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2008, 04:14:26 pm »
Thanks, Pappy and Cowboy - getting closer all the time. (Getting a little antsy myself - LOL)

Oldbow, I don't think Mike is into competition all that much. It's just that folks ask me about his work, and I am personally impressed with his bows and love shooting them  - so I make it a part of the post, as we go along. I will ask him about it though and maybe one of these days I can get him to post one of his for consideration. I don't mean to make more confusion for you though, so thanks for asking first. The answer, for now anyway, is, "No."

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:04 pm »
looks good. what did the orange shirt say? i have one that says "vegitarian: an old indian word for bad hunter."
lets just shoot it

Offline ber643

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2008, 10:12:34 am »
Thanks, rs, it says something close to, "I'm not a hunter, I'm a Wildlife Population Controll Agent" - though I wasn't much of a one last season - LOL.

Starting to work on the bow here at home a little now (between other "chores" - like cleaning the dinning room table off  ::) ), so I will be posting along and along now as it comes up also. No more "Mr. Nice Looking Shop" (at Mike's) for awhile (except now and then - when needed  ;) ) - just my ol' Glory Hole Room. Like this AM, I stepped in there early to do a little roughing in of the handle. So check back, "ever now 'n agin".

Setting up here to use my Farriers File/Rasp (smoother side), and timed release on the digicam of course. I love how the file works and it has good Mojo. It comes from a gent here in NC that does Farrier work for the US (and Canada) Olympic Equestrian Teams. I met him later the same day that his friend and mine, Matt Edwards, gave me the file:

And applying the ol' hands and elbo grease to "stroke" it with the sweet, big file:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:51:10 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2008, 10:44:26 am »
Lookin good, Bernie. ice on. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ber643

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/16)
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2008, 06:53:01 pm »
 :D Thank you, Jawge. ("Ice on"? Is that an old New England saying that I should remember and don't seem to?
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2008, 07:49:16 pm »
I just love this thread of yours Bernie, I could watch you work all day ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline DanaM

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »
Lookin good bernie, gotta ask whats the story with the horse collection :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI