Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

50" Stone Sheep Horn Bow

<< < (8/8)

ChristopherHwll:
Thanks Chuck.  You are spot on.  I have studied many designs of horn bows over the years being influenced mostly by Native American.  As with any bowyer of today or yesteryear, I have incorporated all that I know into a design tailored by my experience and those influences.  I often imagine about the horn bow designs, that most likely existed and are now lost in history, that were made by the Native Americans.  What we see in museums and private collections are only a tiny fraction of what was once abundant.  I love reading and looking at the paintings of Catlin and Bodmer.  Excellent descriptions and visuals to reference.  In those descriptions one can get the idea that horn/antler bows were in great multitude.

I can't wait to see your next horn bow Chuck!

Wizardgoat I just moved to a new place here in Tennessee.  I am just getting my shop set up. I have sold all but a few of my bows but I do have some at my family's ranch.  Next time I am up there I will get pictures to post for you. 

Redhand:
These bows were highly sought after it was looks upon as a high honor to have one of these bows.  Native people would trade most of their horses for a horn/antler bow. And go to lengths to acquire one through blood shed. A lot of these bows were buried with their owners.

I'll have to give your method a try with heat. I usually soak my antlers until they are playable. It's taken up to 3 months.  I know the sheep eaters, crow, and other tribes used the hot springs in the yellow echo system to aid in their horn bow making.

You make very nice bows. Thanks for sharing.

sleek:
Sounds like owning one could have been a death sentence. Probably part of why they were rare. Many may not have wanted one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version