Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

50" Stone Sheep Horn Bow

<< < (4/8) > >>

ChristopherHwll:
Thank you joachimM!  Enjoy.  More to come as the build progresses.

Aaron H:
Very cool, can't wait to see more from you

loefflerchuck:
Looking good! What do you want your draw to be?  I have heard the opposite about dry heat drying the horn out more than boiling, and would be afraid to use grease before backing. I am looking forward to seeing this bow completed. Do you know how much the sinew weighed dry before backing?

ChristopherHwll:
Thanks Aaron and Chuck! 
I have been a fan of your horn bow work on here Chuck.  Your an excellent bowyer sir, beautiful bows.

I am going to finish it out at around 50 pounds.  I will see how it feels at 50 and go from there.  I plan on hunting and competing with it.  I do not know exact sinew weight.  For these bows I have found it best to sinew to final ideal thickness, begin tillering aiming for just under your desired weight, once tillered a very light layer of sinew will be added to have a "pristine" back.  Backstrap works well for this or carefully worked leg sinew.  I read the same about dry heat awhile back too.  I experimented with soaking, boiling/simmering, and dry heat and much prefer the dry.  Very similar to the way I straighten my arrow shafts.  The horn will discolor if it gets too hot beginning as a honey golden color and progressing darker quickly.  My rule when heating is when the horn surface is just hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch but does not burn your finger it is ready to bend.  I never try to get all the bend at once.  I reheat again once in alignment to help the horn relax further, this has seemed to help prevent the majority of the horn returning some of its natural curl later.   I usually work in about six to eight inch sections toward the horn tips.  As far as using oil and grease, I always straighten the limb at a larger size and then once straightened remove material to the finished size so it has a fresh surface that has not been in direct contact with oil.  I degrease the "fresh" surface three times after scoring and I am ready for backing.

loon:
Awesome, static recurves?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version