Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

50" Stone Sheep Horn Bow

<< < (3/8) > >>

ChristopherHwll:
I used eight large Elk back leg sinews for this bow.  The sinew strands run almost the full length of the bending portion of the limb.  Heavy scoring first and then grooving to increase the glueing/sinewed surface area followed by a degrease before sizing and finally a heavy sinew application.

ChristopherHwll:
 I wrap the tips with cord to help the sinew take on the cut knock shape and then I use a varying cloth wrap and inner-tube compression method.  It works very well.  It really helps to push the sinew down into the grooving.  I use a dark cloth as to be able to see the left behind string fibers so they do not show up in the backing later.  I apply mild heat to help the glue weep from the cloth and inner-tube.  Wrap, light heat, re-wrap, light heat, etc..

joachimM:
Awesome build-along!!

ChristopherHwll:
Notice how the sinew is nicely wrapped around the cut-in nock by wrapping with cord.  Time to begin nock wrapping. 

ChristopherHwll:
This has brought the build up to speed to where I am.  I am curing the sinew.  A great time to tan the white-tail hides that I am making a highly decorative plains style quiver with sash strap for this bow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version