Author Topic: Special stave cutting saws  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Badger

Special stave cutting saws
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:27:50 am »
  I saw a you tube video of a guy with a special saw that would be perfect for cutting staves out of any size logs with no waste. It looked like a 12" saw blade with a long shank welded to one side. He could slide it straight down the log and make a 2" or whatever depth cut he wanted then he could turn the blade a 1/4 turn and undercut the piece giving him a 2X2 square section or whatever size he wanted. He just ket turning the log and taking off his sections, every piece was flat sawn. Anyone else see this? One side of the blade could lay flat on the wood. The demo I saw was somewhere in europe.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: Special stave cutting saws
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 12:27:00 pm »
Hay Badger can you put a link up I would like to see that. Sounds interesting

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 12:50:58 pm »
  I cant find the link, It would work best on the outer part of the log, especially things like chinese elm where they are nice and round and staright. The guy had it mounted on about a 20 foot long rail, he was taking 2x6 flat cuts the entire length of the log. Once you got through the first layer you would probably have to make them a bit deeper so you could still chase a ring.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 04:37:52 pm »
That's probably a Lucas sawmill. I used one when I built my house. Do a search for Lucas mills
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:52:07 pm »
Or maybe look up logosol chain saw mill. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »
Or maybe look up logosol chain saw mill.

It is a big circular blade with a shank welded on one side, the other side of the blade is flat.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 08:09:51 pm »
Not logosol then.    There is something called the beam machine, but I think that is chain saw driven as well.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 08:11:40 pm »
Google swing blade mill.
Steve Bennett

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 08:23:17 pm »
Google swing blade mill.

Thats it!  last year I turned down a half dozen elm logs that were straight with no twist and almost 24" in diameter. They weighed close to 1,000# and I couldn't handle them. I wished I would have had this saw. Or access to one.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 08:50:48 pm »
Very interesting.A tractor with a bucket would be handy.You'd be in the business then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 09:51:24 pm »
For occasional use like that for bows, an Alaskan chainsaw mill is a lot cheaper, if less convenient, and slower. You could quarter the logs pretty easily, or slab them all the way. The saw would also be useful for cutting to length, which a swing mill can't do.

Rather than a bucket loader slabing a log up on site with something you can fit in the trunk of a car has a lot to be said for it, compared to setting up even a portable swing mill, like the Lucas.
I love it when a plan B comes together....