Author Topic: Those of us who teach the trade  (Read 13612 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Those of us who teach the trade
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 11:22:33 pm »
Teaching well is an art. I've been lucky to cross paths with a number of these artists.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 04:12:18 am »
I have done quite a lot over the years ,but I like it best 1 on 1or2 if possible. We have done several boy scout groups. It funny with them. You have about half that want to learn and do really well at it, then some that just can't seem to get it no matter how hard you try and then always a few that really don't want to be there, just there for a patch or something. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 07:35:51 am »
  Pappy, I did a group of cub scouts and a group of boy scouts. The cub scouts I asked if they could have an adult with them to assist them. All the kids ended up playing soccer and their fathers learned how to make a bow. The boy scouts were a little better and it ended up just letting them do some rasping on the tiller.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 07:52:46 am »
Ya that is what we do with a lot of them, they have a really hard time for some reason with the scrapper, you can show them and show them but they would have to work for months to get enough wood off to do any good.[not all but most of them] We usually use blanks that are pretty close to start. We will start off with a log/split it/ get it to a good back/lay the bow out/rough it out and then fine tune to the blank stage. We do that with 1 log and all the boys watching and asking any questions they have along with some hands on as we move along. We do this as a demo on Friday evening usually to show them at least how we got to where the blank they are starting with got to that point. Then we let them draw numbers and pick there blank. It's fun and some of them learn a lot , some will come back the next year with the bow finished and shooting it well ,some come back with it just like it was when they left. We figure if we can reach just 1 or 2 that's good enough for the effort. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 08:10:01 am »
I'm not a good teacher unless you have at least a bit of experience, or knowledge. I tend to drop a tid bit and walk away. Then come back later to see how it went. I'm not good an staring over shoulders for hours explaining every detail and why. Hell, I don't even know why I do half of what I do. I just do what has worked for me and I repeat it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 08:37:20 am »
That's why I like 1 on 1 I try to explain why. Had some pretty bad experiences just dropping a tid bit and coming back later to see how it went.  :-\ ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 08:38:21 am »
I have tried to teach about a dozen folk how to make a bow, maybe more. Some folk just aren't crafty and all the instruction you give them rolls off like water off a duck's back and they never finish a bow.

Some students prefer close up, one on one instruction, these guys are always hard workers, great guys to be around but hesitant to move forward on their own.

Then there is the best student; one that has already attempted to make a bow before they come to see you, who works tirelessly, catches the bow making bug, starts stockpiling bow wood, and keeps cranking them out out long after you teach them what you know.

I have only had two of these students, we have become good friends. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:52:50 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Badger

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 09:08:50 am »
  I had this big time prosecuting attorney contact me one time to learn how to make a bow. He was on medical leave from work. He was very knowledgeable on archery history and wanted to make an English longbow.  He was a fast learner and hard worker but asked a lot of questions, he really kept me on my p's and q's.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 09:25:16 am »
One of the first years we done the selfbow challenge at the Classic I wanted GregB , one I had taught to help in the shop, he said he didn't think he was good enough or knew enough to teach someone else, I told him give it a try and see how it goes, he soon found with all the questions he knew WAYYYYYYYYYY more than he thought he did. I love folks to ask questions. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 09:57:19 am »
I've had a few come to my house over the years. Only one person has continued making bows.

I teach them and they do it; must do very well.

I only teach them what I do regularly.

So I don't teach them how to make center shot selfbows.

Jawge
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:00:22 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:20 am »
I too have tried to be a crusader of sorts to primitive archery locally here teaching people.Moving here 12 years ago I wanted to get to know like minded people.The problem I have is that I get an interested few at a time and first they want to buy a bow.So I say no why dont' you come on over and we'll build you one.Most times I don't see them again.They are always amazed by function of one and the results from hunting etc. but most times don't want to put the work into making a bow.The best place like said is to go to a bow making gathering and be around people that want to make a bow.It has to be a process of attraction rather than promotion.Takes a lot of patience to teach and a person learns a lot about themselves in the process.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 10:02:50 am »
I've helped every year I've been to the Classic with the Selfbow Challenge and enjoyed it...generally. The year we had 14 boy scouts surprise us over the 15 or so regular sign-ups was a challenge. At first it was like teaching slugs but once the bows started bending the attitudes changes. we even had one young girl that was with the boy scouts and she was the most interested, and the most aware of the process.
 I thing we had 35 or so successful bows built that weekend.
 I've taught a few others, some get it but many don't. Something just doesn't compute with some folks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 10:16:15 am »
 People tell me I'm a natural teacher.   I've taught as good handful, and I love doing it.  I also learn a lot, usually about HOW to explain what is happening and why we do it, and in helping people who don't see the end from the beginning yet to find step by steps methods not to screw up until they do.

I have a serious case of (diagnosed) adult ADD, and I have a problem finishing bows.  I love the learning, the innovation, the process, and the discoveries WAY more than I love OWNING a bow.  (What would I do with the 80+ bows I have made anyway?), So I often focus on one thing when making a bow, like a new tool, form, technique, etc.. and I rarely make the same bow twice, or even use the same method/tools twice, exactly.  Because of this, I break a lot of bows or ruin them early (I wonder why people say you can't to thus and such?.....CRACK!,   Oh, THAT'S why! Interesting.)  But, when I'm TEACHING someone, I almost always finish a good quality bow with them, because I am helping THEM not rush ahead, helping them learn the techniques, and I don't wander off in the Curiousityland as much.

The main reason I still read and post on forums, besides the good company, is there is always a new guy to help talk through some aspect they are working through, and ILOVE helping them.  Then I love watching them making bows as well as I do after a year or two, and passing out solid advice to the next guy....

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 10:21:27 am »
    I will never teach another girl. I was trying to teach a lady how to use the spokeshave and she wasn't getting it. So I sat behind her on the bench and guided here hands over the wood. Tha got real awkward quick, she kept telling me to show her again LOL>

"awkward".  Right.

One other thing is that so many people who want to try it are really young, and it is hard to be patient.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:40:43 am by Springbuck »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 10:45:28 am »
Love it when there comes someone that has that deep deep internal attraction to doing things themselves/has the drive and need to solve problems.Not just a passing fad.Time shows that.
I liked to bring a point up here without getting on my soapbox too much about the local amish here.Most I've met have that do it yourself attitude of problem solving and an open learning attitude.If they could be let to go to college the sky is the limit I'd say.It's how they are raised most times.Refreshing to be around.These times nowadays seems like the attitude most times is to buy your way out or pay someone to solve a problem.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed