Author Topic: choices  (Read 5570 times)

Offline david w.

choices
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:41:49 pm »
since i am almost done with my bow i am thinking of other projects ::)(gosh this is addicting)
for getting good grades a while ago my dad agreed to pay half on a peice of wood.  I was on pine hollow longbows and i narrowed it down to two choices(mainly becasue of price)

1 black walnut-hickory back
2 red elm -hickory back

i am leaning towards the black walnut because it is so easy to work and its pretty but i wanted to see what you all think.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: choices
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »
If that is what you are leaning toward I would say it sounds great.  You need to have confidence in the bow and if it makes you feel better that it is easier to work, that is the one you should use.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:19:02 pm »
i think i am going to ge the black walnut.

hickory and black walnut will be a cool combination. it will probably be my new hunting bow

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:03:23 pm »
David, your in Ill. right? Dude you got osage everywhere...and other good woods also ;)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Minuteman

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:38 am »
I think walnut is harder than elm , but either way have a good time with the tillerin'.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:36:27 am »
use the money for a down payment on a chiansaw ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:54 am »
Personally I think elm is a little better bow wood and kind of pretty, but of course walnut is prettier still and would also work.  Mike Yancey wouldn't sell something that was marginal, he has good stuff.  I'd get either one and then plan on making an excursion to the woods so you can become self-sufficient for future projects.  Where in IL are you?  Might be someone close by with a chainsaw, maul and wedges who would help you out.  I live not far from Quincy IL, and get to the Champaign area frequently.  There are other folks from IL here I think.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:29 am »
By the way, I'll assume you don't have land with trees on it, so here's how you go about getting some wood.  You venture out in the country and try and find someone with some woods.  If possible, find a farm with a hedgerow, they are usually long lines of trees between a couple of plowed fields.  Often you'll see a number of stumps among them, where the farmer has cut fenceposts.  You go to the nearest house and ask politely if you might be allowed to cut one tree for making bows.  If you've made a bow before, bring it with you to show them.  More often than not they will give you permission, and might even help you harvest the log.  They might ask a bit of money, usually a fencepost runs $15-20 and an endpost (bigger, better log) runs $20-30.

You might also get some of the rural newspaper ad publications that have stuff for sale like cars, tractors, dogs, livestock and such.  Sometimes you'll find ads for fenceposts, more often than not these are hedge (osage).

Might even call the local conservation office and ask them if there is any public land you could get to permission to harvest one log or even a few branches from.  And keep an eye out for tree trinmmers in your area, I've gotten wood from them.  Ask them where they haul their stuff, maybe your town has a municipal yard waste area that might also contain branches and stuff.  Right after a bad ice storm there is plenty of wood in those.

American elm, red elm, hickory, osage, black locust, hop hornbeam, rock maple will all make a bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 07:55:50 pm »
David, your in Ill. right? Dude you got osage everywhere...and other good woods also ;)....Brian

ya my english teacher said her yard is full of it she said i could have some if they find a good peice. i also have a school up the road that borders woods there are some big osage trees there and a MASSIVE mulbery tree

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:01:20 pm »
Tom Sawyer i live in godfrey. its right next to alton. its  a ways from quincy though. i think its 2 or 3 hours.  thanks you for all that advice. my dad is good friends with a tree trimmer and i will check with public land. there is a state park not to far away in grafton. i will keep an eye out for fence posts too

i dont have much access to land with trees. there is a small patc of land that people let me go on but its worthless and theres nothing good so i am trying to think of friends who would let me  harvest some wood

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:09:21 pm »
David don't over look saplings easily cut with a hatchet or bow saw. You never know if there is a bow in the wood until you try.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 08:10:29 pm »
yep i got a hickory spling that i am going to make a bow from sometime

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 08:12:21 pm »
Cut some more and get them drying david ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
ok i will try to find some more i think there may be locust on the ground