Author Topic: Cast Iron  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Cast Iron
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 08:47:11 pm »
I believe I'll give that a try Pappy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 07:05:27 am »
It will work, Chris Cade gave me and old rusty cast iron pot at the Classic a few years back, he though it was to far gone. I filled with lard and let it slow cook all day on the fire, then cleaned it out and rubbed the outside good and done it again, it took 2 or 3 times but came out black and slick and ready to use. He was amazed the next time he came and I showed it to him, I think he wished he hadn't given it to me, it came out of an old shed at his Grand daddy's place. Guess I should give it back if he shows up again. ;) :) I have always got a fire going if I am at the cabin so it's no trouble for me to cook one all day If need be. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:22 am »
  I buy all the cast iron I see at garage sales. I have put them in bon fires and just let them cook all the junk out of them. They come out of the fire like new, then I just season with grease.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:19:47 am »
I got one a lady was using for a flower pot! It has been in use since I got it now over 15 years! One of my favorites. Then my son helped a lady clean out a storage unit and we got more cast iron. Even a square skillet.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 01:21:59 pm »
Sometimes around here people will buy the big butchering kettles & drill holes in them for flower pots don't know what there thinking.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 04:10:15 pm »
If you want to get the rust off, soak it in apple cider vinegar,.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin