Author Topic: Final ring pics  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Final ring pics
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:52 pm »
  Ok guys, I am posting this because I want something to look at. Im in the process of chasing a ring on an osage stave and I would like to see how they are supposed to look. I appreciate yalls input.

Offline Arrowbuster

Re: Final ring pics
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:09:36 pm »
Come on guys I need pics. Im as green as a gourd on this stuff.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:24:48 pm »
It's not the best pic. But it's what I've got with me at work. You want it so the little white lines that run with the grain are a continuous flow with no crumbly white bar breaking it up. It's osage sapwood. Please excuse the drying checks I got started a little too early on the stave.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 09:25:25 pm »
Well bud, a chassed ring looks exactly like every osage bow posted on this site. Just look at any of them. There is no change in color its orage from end to end. Perhaps if you put a pic up we could assist better?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:39:42 pm »
I know it seems like a dumb post but I wanted to see the grain on an unfinished bow where the picture was taken of the back itself. This stave im working has very tight rings and I do not have a anyone to say look there you missed that. Don't worry when I think Im close Ill post pics for opinions. Thanks for the pic Kyle it helps.

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 09:58:57 pm »
Here is the best grain close up I have. I was asking  a question about that dent.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »
Not a dumb question. It just is a simple answer. When i made my firzt osage bow, chasing the ring was such a nerve wracking task. I had never done it before and the entire project depended on that task being done and done right. I wasnt sure i had read everything or understood it. After the firat few inches you get a feel for it. Just do it, and when you do you will have done it. Simple concept but its true.

And by the way, we all love pics.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:02:02 pm »
My buddy and I are going to be getting a few staves roughed out tomorrow. So if no one has any better pictures up by then I'll take some good ones that are mid ring chase to shot you what to look for and to avoid. Though it might be evening by the time I get them posted.

Kyle

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:21 pm »
I am trying to post a photo from my smart phone but am having trouble. It says attachment is to large. Can somebody help?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:19 pm »
I use an app called simple resize and shrink the pictures until it finally takes and it'll hold the setting so it's quick then.

Kyle

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 10:49:56 pm »
There is a post started by ajbruggink on a D shaped Osage selfbow that shows some pretty good pictures of where top 2 or 3 rings are being chased to the final one.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 11:23:44 pm »
Once you get started I doubt you will need a pic anymore. You have a layer of crusty early wood that sits on top of your latewood. You simply scrape off the early wood and leave the ring you want nice and smooth with no violations. Believe me you will know it when you see it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 11:58:17 pm »
These are some pictures taken while chasing a ring. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 12:23:15 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:00:10 am »
Ah that's a nice obvious one outlaw