Author Topic: axe-head shape/weight  (Read 1712 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
axe-head shape/weight
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:21:16 am »
So I'm going to spoil myself with a 'new' vintage axe-head off that auction site, or maybe even push the boat out and get two.  Any thoughts on what makes a good axe-head for roughing out bows?  As I carve equally badly with either hand, swapping when I get tired, is it worth going for both a right-sided and a left-sided hatchet, or does one well-shaped and nicely balanced head mean there's no real benefit to a 'handed' axe?  Also, straight-edged blade, curved edge, flaired points (fishtail) or bearded? And finally, how heavy - this is a shaping axe not a felling axe, so big weight is probably a no-no, but how much is comfortable to work with but still heavy enough to do the job? Any/all advice welcome! Thanks

Offline Aaron H

Re: axe-head shape/weight
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:20 am »
Personally I like a vintage 1.5 pound Collins with a 14"-16" handle (Osage of course  ;)), but the old Plumb hatchets are good quality as well.  Norlund also makes a really good quality axe head.
Last year at Mojam, I commissioned a blacksmith named John to build me a 2 pound Scandinavian carving axe (bearded), I am looking forward to getting it at this year's Mojam.  I hope it works as well as I have heard they do.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: axe-head shape/weight
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:52:18 pm »
I prefer a 16" Grizzly, in the 1 hp range :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.