Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Yew shorty

<< < (2/3) > >>

avcase:
I like what you are doing. That's a pretty interesting handle design. I look forward to find out how it shoots for you.

I am interested in your heat treated arrows too. Does the wood retain the benefit of the heat treating process over time?

I have played around with heat treating spruce arrow shafts and was very impressed with the initial results, but the stiffness degraded over time as the arrow rehydrated. There was still some benefit after the arrow shaft achieved equilibrium.

Alan

Badger:
  Allen, I baked a few of the western larch shafts but showed no permanent gain.

redhawk55:
I found out you need to heat- treat the wood till it becomes really dark- brown and almost black, till it begins to carbonize. Then there'll be no rehydrating.
The strips are about 1.5mm in thickness, heat- treated from both sides, the arrows are barelleled, the thickest diameter near the center of the black arrow is 7mm, the other one measures 6mm.

I want to keep the handle as short as possible for to have as much working limb as possible in such a short bow.

Michael

Del the cat:
V cool, I'll be interested to hear how she goes.
Del

threebirches:
Very nice - thank you! How much is the draw-weight? Did you measure it yet?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version