Author Topic: Backing a short osage bow?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline David Ewing

Backing a short osage bow?
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:00:28 pm »
I did a trade with DuBois this past couple of weeks... He sent me a short (I think it's 50ish") osage stave. The growth rings are very close together, so I'm not sure if I can get it down to one ring on the back.... AND it's short. I plan on it being a bend through the handle bow, around 45 lbs. Should I back this? If so... With what? I don't have any sinew, or silk or really anything... I have a roll of drywall tape I used on another bow, but I would like to keep it more "primitive".

Thanks for the info.
:D
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Badger

Re: Backing a short osage bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:05:05 pm »
  It doesn't matter how thin the rings are you can get it down to one ring if you go slow. It is good practice. I use a scraper on real thin ringed stuff. Do you have experience with a draw knife yet? If so just take off the surface with your drawknife and then take it down clean with your scraper.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:00:59 pm »
I have never used a Draw knife... hahaha. I have two of them.
I also have a scraper, so I may try that.... If I do get it down to one ring, do I still need to back it?

David

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:21:49 pm »
I like rawhide when I cant get a good back. This stave was traded around several times, nobody wanted to mess with it. It has micro rings and the early/late growth was a smear. Its 56" long, I pull it 27-28.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:27:14 pm »
Deflexing the handle will let you draw farther with your short stave. Just be sure to reflex the tips so your string angle stays under 90 degrees, comfortably under.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 09:43:43 pm »
That looks great!
Do you have a jig for the deflexing/reflexing? If so, do you have any pictures of it? I'd like to see it... Thinking about making one, but haven't yet.  How do you know how much reflex or deflex to put in it?

David

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 09:59:40 pm »
A rag in a tight wad under center is good enough to add deflex. Just clamp the tips down while the center is rested on the wadded up rag. For reflex I traced half the diameter of a 5 gallon bucket on a 1 x 10. Th farther the tip goes past top dead center the more reflex it adds. I cant give you numbers on the amount of each, just use your eyes. If it looks right, it is right.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:02:21 pm »
Ok.. Sweet. Thanks!!
One more question...  Are you using steam to bend the reflex, or dry heat?

David

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:25:29 am »
I steamed the deflex in. I used a roasting pan because they are longer and I got 12-14" of the center hot. I used a wagner heat gun for the tips.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 08:44:10 am »
That sure is pretty, PD! You got some talent. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 08:46:19 am »
Thanks Jawgey, I got a lot of learning from you guys since 2010. I was just trying to show him that short staves with nasty rings can make a suitable bow. No need to compromise.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 09:13:50 am »
No, indeed, PD, you use what you have and you let the stave dictate the design. That, my friend, is key. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 09:47:10 am »
Man Pearly I just finished a near identical 56" osage a couple days ago. unbacked but with decent rings.
Sorry David, don't mean to hijack your thread, just thought it was a strange coincidence that Chris and I made the same style bow at the same time.
If you can get a clean ring chased you should be ok David, or back with rawhide as mentioned if you have doubts.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 09:51:55 am »
I'd like to say great minds think alike, but you have me smoked in that category Greg! Im sure your decore' is 10x better than mine. Cant wait to see it.

There you go David. Two examples of what you can do with your stave.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:44 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53940.0.html

A bow along the same lines i built a few months back, but a slightly different take and not as nicely finished or crafted as the two above.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others