Author Topic: Chinese Privet (Wax Wood) questions and considerations  (Read 2260 times)

Limbit

Chinese Privet (Wax Wood) questions and considerations
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:14:48 am »
I watched an episode of "Deadliest Warrior" some time ago featuring Shaolin kung fu weapons, one of which was the wax wood bow. I saw a slow mo of it cracking through vases filled with sand and smashing against a concrete floor without any noticeable damage to the wood. It got me wondering what "wax wood" is and why I haven't seen it listed as a bow wood if it seems to possess good compressive and tensive qualities. Turns out "wax wood" is "Chinese privet". After researching, it seems to be a good bow wood as well....and an invasive species in many parts of the States. Anyone else have some luck with it? Any pictures?

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

Re: Chinese Privet (Wax Wood) questions and considerations
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 02:46:36 pm »
  I had heard privit is about like elm, but I owned a waxwood martial arts staff I bought in China and it was really hard and heavy.  Felt more like black locust in the hand.

Limbit

Re: Chinese Privet (Wax Wood) questions and considerations
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:33:46 am »
It's sort of all over the place here in Taiwan, so I was confused why the natives don't use it for bow making. The always use Orange Jessamine. Albeit, Jessamine is an awesome bow wood, it never grows straight and is always twisted. Next straight privet I find I am looking to give it a go now.