Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 704069 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3870 on: August 07, 2016, 11:21:46 am »
Well I have gone over to the dark side and bought a stringer  - dunno if the reflex is making life difficult but made 3 stringers (two different types of rubber and 1 of leather) and they all just slide up the limb.  Should be able to post some decent pics of the bows at brace mid week.  In the mean time have started work decorating both the bows in the hope that tillering should be fairly straight forward.  Would be happy to post some pics of the bows on the long string in the mean time??

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #3871 on: August 07, 2016, 03:11:08 pm »
Nice ajooter,  finished up real nice!-Hammertime

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3872 on: August 07, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »
Ty,

That curve looks good.  twists with recurves are always tricky for me.  Just remember it twists toward the weak side.  I have to look at the belly where the hooks start, rather at the ends of the tips.

Speaking of tips, I would say that your string grooves look a bit steep.  When you get it to full brace, if you still have that sharp bend and the sharp edges, the string will wear out fast.  If it were me, I would work down those overlays a bit before I tried to string it much.

Overall, I am enjoying watching this--I have never built a laminated bow before, so the details of your build have been fascinating.  Keep it up.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3873 on: August 07, 2016, 06:33:27 pm »
Thanks for the tips, Jeff.  Ya, I knew I was cutting the groove deep compared to how the overlays are looking now. I was planning on thinning the tips closer to the end, but I can certainly trim them sooner!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3874 on: August 07, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
I would probably keep them wide until you have dealt with the twist, but the transition up the overlay should be smooth, or you risk popping it off when you string it.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3875 on: August 08, 2016, 01:05:42 pm »
Well, here are some more progress pics!  1st off, here's what the tips look like now:

I still plan on sculpting them a bit more, but the main goal was to address the transition between the limb and the overlay as well as giving it a decent rough sanding in order to knock off the sharp edges.

Here's a before and after picture of the lateral bending of the limbs:

I'm not sure how much more I want to go after getting it perfect now or if I should start tillering it again and check it when I get to full brace.

Finally, here's what the short brace looks like after touching the limbs up:

Again, I'm not sure how dead on it is, but I can tell it looks better from yesterday.

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline half eye

« Reply #3876 on: August 08, 2016, 06:22:28 pm »
Fellas,
     Thought you would like to see the fine bow I received from Cabinet Bow Guy.....fit and finish speak for themselves (as in very, very nice). The bow draws smooth and shoots very hard. Cant thank you enough sir!!!!
     Tried to get some decent pics to do the bow justice.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #3877 on: August 08, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »
last pic

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3878 on: August 08, 2016, 06:58:17 pm »
Looks like you got a good one Rich. Of course all the ones sent so far look like good ones.

Glad to see you posting also. I was gettin worried about you.
Steve Bennett

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3879 on: August 08, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »
Looks nice Rich.  So the the stream in the background!  Well done CBG.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #3880 on: August 08, 2016, 07:54:49 pm »
The bow is very finely made and shoots where ya look.....dont get better.

Turtle, thanks bud, no need for worry. Reports of my untimely demise have been greatly exaggerated. I'll be posting other trade and gift bows here shortly. I'm gonna need to do a bunch of reading to catch up.
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3881 on: August 08, 2016, 08:36:50 pm »
 ;D Welcome back friend and champ. We missed you. Looks like you had a hell of a nice camping time down on that stream and the best part of it was the bow showed up before you left for the camping trip.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3882 on: August 08, 2016, 08:54:14 pm »
absolutely Mr. Arnold, absolutely
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3883 on: August 08, 2016, 09:22:25 pm »
1st of all welcome back Rich. That is a very nice bow CBG made you. And the pics are very nice.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3884 on: August 08, 2016, 09:58:22 pm »
Looks great Rich..nicely done CBG!!  Glad to see your back buddy!