Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 705789 times)

Offline bubby

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3330 on: July 07, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »
With all due respect to a book, it should also have at a minimum1 ft on center horizontally i understand the concept of the sphere but the expanded metal lath offers little structural strength. Are you guniting it or pouring it? It does make some difference. I have built and shot spheres myself using#6 grade 60 bar and there was more steel than what you have but heck you might get lucky i hope ya do and this advice is redundant
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3331 on: July 07, 2016, 10:28:50 pm »
Bubby thanks, mixing and plastering it by hand. I don't want to get too far off topic in this thread so I won't say any more after this last post about my tank -- probably gone too far already-- sorry! I'm building the same tank as the center one in this picture of the book cover with the little kid in front, built with the same armature and plastering in the same way. I hope to be as lucky, (if that's the right word) as the owner/builder of that one. Like I said I'm not an expert, but I am building an existing proven tank design, here, and hope to get the same result.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3332 on: July 08, 2016, 07:11:46 am »
This was the bow I ended up sending out -- the Plan C bow as it was before I added the final details. Sorry I don't have pics of it finished.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:16:50 am by PlanB »

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3333 on: July 08, 2016, 08:08:45 am »
Thats purdy :)
Amen

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3334 on: July 08, 2016, 08:58:19 am »
Good luck with your cistern, Plan B!  I know it's tough when water is on short supply, so hopefully your cistern turns out.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3335 on: July 08, 2016, 09:12:59 am »
PlanB, I remember that bow from your earlier posts. Would like to have that one myself.

Good luck on the cistern and I understand your situation. I don't yet have running water after seven years of living out on my place. Still hauling water. I'm trying to figure out how to pipe water from multiple flowing springs on my property but they are all on the other side of the creek, hundreds of feet away, and downhill from my building site.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Loope

« Reply #3336 on: July 08, 2016, 10:54:23 am »
Plan B, the plan C looks great! I would love to see it show up at my door.

Fred, you may want to check out a ram pump for your water supply. They don't require electricity, just operate on hydraulic pressure and don't need a lot of head pressure.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3337 on: July 08, 2016, 12:08:15 pm »
I remember that bow now planB. I think either a or b looked a lot like it. I'm sure somebody is gonna be thrilled with it.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3338 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:06 pm »
That is a fine looking bow Plan B. Somebody is gonna be real  happy with it I'm sure.

Have you tried a rain dance?

Sorry, just foolin'

Really, hope you get some soon and good luck on the cistern.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3339 on: July 08, 2016, 06:03:32 pm »
Thanks guys! Great bunch here. Wish I was building a bow. Maybe in the Fall.

Priority Mail tracking says the bow will arrive tomorrow. Wish I'd remembered a string >:(.

Fred in case this info helps or gives you any ideas......my spring is located 300 feet from the house, and there's only a 3 foot drop. I ran a 1 inch poly line from it to a 200 gallon cistern under the house. The line was NOT buried, just ran over the ground. I rake some leaves over it in November, that's all. It runs continuously and never freezes, even in Vermont and 20 below zero. Actually, it's gradually burying itself.

It also runs over a creek about 6 feet wide. I made a little bridge for it out of styrofoam -- two pieces taped together like a sandwich, about 8" by 12", total cross section.

I dug NO trenches for this system, and it's been running 15 years. Two winters ago we didn't see above zero for a month. It never freezes. In fact it usually melts its a path in the snow. The little house cistern has an overflow to daylight and, as I said, runs continuously.

The little cistern has a small external $30 Harbor Freight shallow well pump nearby to pressurize the domestic system. I have an expansion tank and water heater nearby and we get 50 pounds of pressure. The pump usually lasts about 5 years, and I always have a spare. It's a very simple system. The only thing that stops it is a severe drought in summer. The new 3000 gallon cistern I'm building is located below the 200 gallon house cistern, so will receive the overflow, now wasted, by gravity feed. It will then overflow, too with a small waterfall to a wading basin. In a drought, we'll just pump back up -- approx. 60 days worth at 50 gal/day.

Hope that helps....

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3340 on: July 08, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »
Finally had to get my little girl to get some pics for me today.
Sorry not a lot but I know you guys were already peepin at this beauty before it was sent.

One hard hittin bow and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Thanks again Mr. Stix

Doobs

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3341 on: July 08, 2016, 06:20:55 pm »
One more  >:D

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3342 on: July 08, 2016, 07:39:48 pm »
Congratulations DuBois. We will have to get together sometime and compare the great bows we received in this great trade. 

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3343 on: July 08, 2016, 07:45:16 pm »
Wow, that is nice!

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #3344 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:38 pm »
That finish on your bow looks amazing Plan B....Dubois  that bow looks like its mighty fast!- Hammertime