Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 729666 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3315 on: July 07, 2016, 07:12:13 am »
Loope, that bow looks beautiful.  Great job.

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3316 on: July 07, 2016, 07:49:43 am »
Oooo loop looks beautiful
Amen

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3317 on: July 07, 2016, 07:52:32 am »
Got to see you bow in person swampman its beautiful as ever !
Amen

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3318 on: July 07, 2016, 08:22:42 am »
Good job loope I really like those tip underlays

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3319 on: July 07, 2016, 09:19:08 am »
Sorry to have been away from the forum for a couple months, but we've had a water crisis here with the drought locally, and I've been spending all my time building a 3000 gallon ferro-cement cistern. We went without water for 2-1/2 months in a few years ago and it was difficult then -- this spring drought looks worse because it started earlier.

Anyway, I had finished my trade bow, and did manage to package it up yesterday and get it mailed out. I haven't built a bow in a few months or had time for archery at all, but hope to get back in maybe a month's time when the cistern is done. We might get rain in the next few days, which I sure hope we do -- even the cistern needs water to build with concrete.

Best wishes to you all..... Steve.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3320 on: July 07, 2016, 09:59:52 am »
WOOHOO!!

That's a killer bow Loope.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3321 on: July 07, 2016, 10:21:59 am »
Dang Plan B that stinks not to have water. What state you live in to be getting that  kinda drought. Let's see some pics of that bow you sent out

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3322 on: July 07, 2016, 11:23:38 am »
Do what ya gotta do B....im just down in albany if ya need a hand or any kind of equipment.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3323 on: July 07, 2016, 12:09:41 pm »
Sorry to hear about your water shortage, Plan B.  If there were any way we could send you all the extra water we got earlier, I certainly would.

And that bow looks amazing, Loope! 
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3324 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »
Dang Loope, that stik is killer.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3325 on: July 07, 2016, 05:02:58 pm »
Gutshot, southern Vermont, not normally a drought area, but we seem to be in a little pocket that gets hit worse than surrounding areas. Plus we get our water from a spring, not a well.

I'm sorry i didn't take photos of the bow yesterday while I was packing it up. I just spaced it out, and also forgot to make up a new string. My mind is slipping working out in the heat on that cistern! Over a hundred degrees in town yesterday! I hope my recipient will forgive me the string, maybe i can make one up in the meantime. Maybe he will take some photos -- I don't have any of the finished bow.

Ajooter, buddy, thanks! I have an old Ford 850 tractor with a backhoe that I did the excavation with, and it cracked a hed while I was working it a few weeks ago -- I found somebody with an old rusty one, superglued it to my small mill's table and milled it flat with a homemade fly-cutter. Ground the valves in and got it back together in 4 days, and had it working on the water project again.

Here's a photo of the cistern armature as it is today. Tons of wire ties in that. That was driving me nuts -- had my ten year old daughter pushing the wire ties back out to me from the inside. Foam pipe insulation around the temporary entry to keep her from getting scratched up.

Ty, thanks supposedly we will be getting some rain the next few days. Hope it's enough, and not the last bit for another month, like it has been. We've got 6" deficit over the last 90 days.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3326 on: July 07, 2016, 05:40:58 pm »
Planb i was a long time concrete contractor and built gunite swimming pools for a living for about 8 years, that isn't enough structural steel that rebar should be a minimum 12" on center horizontal and vertical with alternates at 6" oc. The laps should be 32 × the diameter of the bars. But it is your job so it is up to you
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3327 on: July 07, 2016, 06:50:48 pm »
Very nice looking bow Loope. Don't see a dogwood bow posted on the forum to often, cool to see one from a seldom used wood.
That bow should make someone happy.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3328 on: July 07, 2016, 08:35:46 pm »
Im also a contractor and i agree with bubbly. If you wasn't so far i would come help you out with er planb
Amen

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3329 on: July 07, 2016, 09:43:55 pm »
Bubby, Cabinet, thanks for the thoughts. The design was actually from Art Ludwig's Book "Water Storage" from Oasis Design consultants. Bottom rebar is 1' on centers as you suggest, but increases as you go up with reduced head pressure. Tight radiuus of this tank in 3 dimensions is much greater than any swimming pool, increasing shell stiffness -- like an egg shell or bowl vs. a square flat sided structure.

I also used #4 rebar where the original had #3 since that was impossible to find locally, so it's overbuilt. What you can't see probably is that the inside is completely sheathed in expanded metal lath. That alone just about makes the rebar redundant. What you're seeing outside is chicken wire, not really structural, but to give something to shape the outside plaster to. This isn't much bigger than some poured septic tanks. The tank will only be filled summers since it's for drought insurance. Like I say, it's not my design, but straight out of the book, and referred to as "heavy" construction for a tank of this small capacity. Hope it works, and definitely true, I'm not a contractor and experienced in this stuff, so I don't know for sure. Thanks for the offer of help. Wish I could take you up on it!