Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 729707 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3225 on: July 01, 2016, 11:40:14 pm »
The right limb is stiff about the first 6 " coming out of the fade.  The left limb is stiff aboit halfway out from the fades.  I would start on the left limb since it needs more attention.  If you pull it to that drawlength and set your gizmo about halfway out that limb till it just misses the limb it will show you the stiff spot halfway going in toward the fade.  Dont go too crazy on the fades....you can touch them up a little later if they need it.  The inner 6 " on the right limb needs some work with some minor stiff spots in the oiter portion of the limb.

Make sure you are fkexing the limbs to that drawlength at least 40 times in between each wood removal to allow for the wood to adjust.

+1

How much weight are you pulling in the picture?

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3226 on: July 01, 2016, 11:47:24 pm »
Before I screwed the limb up, I'm guessing about 65-70.
Now I'm thinking more like 55-60.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3227 on: July 01, 2016, 11:53:02 pm »
So are you using a scale to know how much you're pulling at any given moment?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3228 on: July 01, 2016, 11:57:44 pm »
David you need to get the limb thickness even, if you have a caliper find the thinnest spot on the limb which on the right is in that first foot from the fade. Get the rest of the limb even with that on both limbs and go from there at least that is what i would do😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3229 on: July 02, 2016, 12:32:06 am »
Dubois, no, I'm just sort of guessing. Probably way off but who knows.

David

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3230 on: July 02, 2016, 01:17:48 am »
I agree with Bubby on the thickness.

Just asking about the weight cause you don't want to pull more than what you intend for the final weight to be, especially when you have a weak spot/hinge. If you were pulling in the 60's in these pics, then back way off now and get the limb thickness evened out more. Stay away from that thin spot Bubby is talking about (wrap painters tape around it when you scrape to remind you if you have to). If you are getting into the tape-back off!

It's easy to start scraping and think you're in the zone and then realize you have drifted a little onto the weak spot and then you got a light weight bow.

Trust me, I know this from experience

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3231 on: July 02, 2016, 07:22:07 am »
Your right about limb thickness Bubby....also depends on the crown of the stave.  You may want to run that thickness down to about 6 to 8" from the tip, leaving the tips a little stiff for now.  I have learned with higher crowned staves it can be difficult to layout the limb taper sometimes.

Ya really need a scale to see where your at drawweight wise.  If you have a tillering stick you can use a regular bathroom scale to check it.  Otherwise you can hit a tractor supply and get a spring scale pretty reasonable.

There several buildalongs in the how to section.  Gordans buildalongs are in my opinion the "standard".  I have learned a lot from his postings.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3232 on: July 02, 2016, 09:14:38 am »
David. a couple of others have mentioned to me Oklahoma Selfbow Society who have a lot of members in your area. You should google them and see when they get together. I'm sure they would be elated if you showed the bow and would ask for their help.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3233 on: July 02, 2016, 09:42:27 am »
Ajooter while the rule is don't pull past intended weight imo the tiller fix is the most important issue at the moment and i wouldn't pull past 12" till it gets straightened out. He does need a scale though😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3234 on: July 02, 2016, 10:26:34 am »
I think I can save it... It's a lot better after just one round of scraping.
The masking tape idea was helpful.

David

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3235 on: July 02, 2016, 11:23:52 am »
Glad it was helpful. Looking better for sure. Mid to tip left limb still look sorta stiff so get that to bend a little more and even up with the right limb. Might be a bit stiff in the right just past tape to tip but I would leave it alone until the left is real close to same as the right. Just what I'm seeing.

I think you're gonna get this David  ;)

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3236 on: July 02, 2016, 11:32:00 am »
That left limb is a little stiffer then the right but it looks a lot better.  Did ya get an actual draw weight yet?  Set your gizmo till the pencil is just barely showing and see if you get anything.  Make corrections by performing some light scrapings on the spots showing flat, then slowly increase it till it shows a continuous line down the limb (meaning you have a nice even bend).  Go very slowly and make sure to keep excercising those limbs.  It wont take much to get them to balance out.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3237 on: July 02, 2016, 11:33:51 am »
Like Dubois said only the left limb for now, forgot to add that..the right one is really close.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3238 on: July 02, 2016, 11:50:25 am »
No draw weight yet... I can't find my scale.

The only real problem I am seeing now is the right limb still has major twist, and bend outwards. I'm not sure what to do about it. It is pulling the string off center quite a bit. Both sides are equal. Heck, the "stiff" side may even be thinner now, but the twist/bend isnt going away.

Thanks for the help

David

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3239 on: July 02, 2016, 01:01:35 pm »
usps say's it's out on delivery  ;D
DevilsBeachSelfbows