Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 704158 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2295 on: April 04, 2016, 10:13:29 am »
what the heck Gutshot?!      Ajooter, that whole setup is badarse.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline half eye

« Reply #2296 on: April 04, 2016, 10:27:22 am »
Jesus Gutshot....hope it wasn't too bad sir.
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2297 on: April 04, 2016, 11:10:44 am »
I'm sorry to hear that gut!!  Glad you got my bow done before the mishap!  >:D

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2298 on: April 04, 2016, 11:27:13 am »
Dylon I'd vote for the hoof too sticks lookin good. Ajooter that bow is really nice. Plan b looking great!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:03:02 pm by TimothyR »
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2299 on: April 04, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »
Man Gutshot,  I hate to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Just duct tape a fishing rod to that cast!  >:D

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2300 on: April 04, 2016, 12:42:00 pm »
Aw no, Gutshot!  Broken anything is horrible, but your hand?  That's gotta be maddening. 

Thanks for the tips by the way.  I did get some more work in on the stave (before a friend came over and we did some shooting, can't resist flinging arrows on a nice day!) 

I ended up working at the giant knot area and flattening out the belly on it a bit.  I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but it looks like there's a really dry/crunchy spot that I'm pretty sure doesn't go all the way through.  I think that even if I reduced the wood to remove it completely, it'll still be around 1" thick and so can stand to have a good amount of material removed. 

Here's the before pic.  I had just barely started taking it down, it's pretty gnarly:

Here's after I started in on it.  There's still over an inch of thickness here.  This area is super hard, I'm assuming I'll have to thin it out more than the rest of the bow since it's not going to bend well?

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2301 on: April 04, 2016, 01:01:45 pm »
Is that in the limb or handle area? And does that knot go all the way through the bow?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2302 on: April 04, 2016, 01:24:15 pm »
Gutshot, heal!!! You've done a marvelous job here and wishing for a speedy recovery for you.

ajooter, you've got a great looking bow there. Good job.

Ranasp, I would think with that big of knot that you have a hump on the back side of the bow. Try to work that area with the rasp as much as possible. Your thickness on the limbs should remain the same as the other side and the surrounding area. Any corrections should be made after you begin tillering.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2303 on: April 04, 2016, 01:37:39 pm »
It's only 20-something inches in from the end, so no way I can make it into a handle area unless I make a seriously funky looking bow (or a seriously short one).  I'm going for about the same weight as you, Gutshot, 50+ #, probably 64" or so. 

When I get home I'm going to do some measuring...I might be able to actually put the knot at the nock area. I thought before I wouldn't be able to for some reason, but it won't hurt to get some new measurements. 

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #2304 on: April 04, 2016, 04:17:06 pm »
Took about a month break on the bow.... But I'm ready to start working on it again.
I brought the thickness down even more... It's more or less at brace height. I want to go farther before stringing it though.
What do you guys think? I included 3 different picture. One of each limb straight on, and then the whole thing. When you look at the whole thing in one picture it makes the limbs look hinged. Looking straight at them gets rid of it.

Right limb straight on: Yes, there is a bit of a hinge. I need to take off wood closer to the end.

Left limb straight on:

Whole bow:
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2305 on: April 04, 2016, 06:02:13 pm »
Gutshot, what the heck are you doing man?  That's NO good at all.  Sorry to hear about that.

David, I don't think you have a hinge at this point but your limbs do need to start bending more right out of the fades.  Keep them even and work on the inner limbs.  You can low brace it to about 3" once you get the limbs bending 10"-12".  Keep your long string pretty tight until you get it to brace.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2306 on: April 04, 2016, 06:55:20 pm »
Drew, I'm seeing just the opposite. I wouldn't take any more off near the fades but would work on the outer 1/3. Those limbs are looking mighty thin IMO.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2307 on: April 04, 2016, 07:10:39 pm »
I gotta agree with drew...I think the outers are bending more then the inner limbs.  The right limb more so then the left.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2308 on: April 04, 2016, 07:14:17 pm »
dang gutshot how'd you do that!  :( :-X :'(

ajooter that bow is looking good 8)

david lets see a front profile so we have a better idea what you're working with. :)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2309 on: April 04, 2016, 07:32:52 pm »
Finally got some bow work going on. Decided to heat treat the dogwood. Did a lot of shooting with the vine maple while heating.
Steve Bennett