Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 704023 times)

Offline willie

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2220 on: March 29, 2016, 01:15:57 pm »
Plan B

keeping the reflex  certainly indicates you have found the right design and tiller for the birch.

Board or stave?       

Did you just luck out on that photo with the arrow?

willie

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2221 on: March 29, 2016, 02:46:25 pm »
Woah that's a nice bow!  I love getting photos like that where the string is doing a sine wave thing.  Found out the camera on my phone has a "burst" setting so I'll see if I can get a good one like that once I actually have a bow to shoot.  (talking about getting ahead of myself...)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2222 on: March 29, 2016, 04:31:54 pm »
That is a nice plan c PlanB. That looks like a good accurate hunting bow if I have ever seen one. 

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2223 on: March 29, 2016, 05:26:59 pm »
ajooter, Drewster, Gutshot, Willie Ranasp, Swampman. Thank you gentlemen -- great pleasure to be making bows in your company! :)

The slight handle deflex was from set during tillering. I did very little manipulation except for light heat treating, mainly to add a small amount of reflex to the tips.

It is a board bow, though from a tree I cut myself and sawed up stacked and seasoned.

The photos were just stills from a short video I took -- it's hard for me to use a self-timer with ten seconds to get back to the bow and get everything accomplished for a decent photo. I found that it was a lot easier to just video a few arrows with the same camera, and just take decent frame out of the video for the full draw. So the arrow shot was a little due to that, and a little luck to catch it so perfectly still within a frame and clear of the bow. I saw that and thought it was cool enough to add.

I'm working on a strobed multiple photo exposure electronics project right now for bows --- we'll see if that works out or not.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2224 on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:42 pm »
Whoever gets plan b's plan c is a lucky s.o.b. Nice bow sir.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2225 on: March 29, 2016, 06:41:15 pm »
PB - nice looking bow for sure - well done!  Anyone would be happy to shoot that one.  The pic is cool too.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2226 on: March 29, 2016, 07:58:32 pm »
Just finished up stripping the bark off my BL staves. Now time to put them up for a few years

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2227 on: March 29, 2016, 09:04:44 pm »
Making progress with my hickory Plan B.......handle spliced, ring chased, rough profile cut out, ready to floor tiller.  Hope I can get my plan B looking as good as PlanB's plan C.  Geez, did I just say that??? ;-)

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2228 on: March 29, 2016, 09:09:38 pm »
Drewster go ahead and make it a lefty and send it to Kentucky. Lol. I like it always wanted to splice billets together but have had no success.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2229 on: March 29, 2016, 09:26:50 pm »
Gutshot, I've found the key to a good splice is to square the end and make sure the belly cut is parallel to your back.  THEN, you can lay the joint out accurately.  I use a knife to mark out the Z splice.......not a pencil.  A knife is much more accurate.  A band saw with a good sharp blade and you're on your way.  Touch up the joint areas that you can get to with a fine rasp and sandpaper. 

I've been using West System G/Flex epoxy for the past couple of years.  It's really good stuff.  Lots of guys use Smooth On and there are other good epoxies out there too.  The G/Flex is from a boat building supplier and it has a bit of filler in it.  SO, if your joint isn't perfect, it will still do a fine job.  I have never had a splice failure.....knock on wood......

Just DO IT Gut.  You can make it happen.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2230 on: March 29, 2016, 10:00:03 pm »

Got the tips done..again...used some antler this time.  I like these a lot better.  I only shortened the top limb a half inch and boy did that stiffen that limb up and it really boosted the overall draw weight.  Back to tillering!!  :P

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2231 on: March 29, 2016, 10:28:08 pm »
Those looks excellent Ajooter.......really nice!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2232 on: March 29, 2016, 10:29:42 pm »
Tips look great ajooter!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2233 on: March 29, 2016, 10:35:45 pm »

Back in the game....Bottom limb is still a hair behind but I gotta get up at 430 and I need to sleep!

Drewster....you chased a back ring on that hickory?!  That's impressive in itself.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2234 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »
And thank you for the kind words fellas....it has been a total pleasure participating in this with all of you.  Thanks fred for giving me this opportunity.  I hope these so called "surprises" from Ole half eye aren't gonna be too ridiculous! >:D