Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 705280 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2130 on: March 24, 2016, 06:55:52 am »
Man you fellas are a whole bunch of bow buildin dudes for sure....I cant wait to see all the goodies. Want to thank all of you for keeping the posts and info flowing....

Every day that goes by I'm more glad to be a part of this trade and to get to know all of ya.
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2131 on: March 24, 2016, 08:35:50 am »
Well said Rich! I agree. Everybody's doing great.

Thought I might update also. I cut off the pin nocks on the ironwood bow, put some walnut tip overlays on her, a grass string handle, and some walnut stain. I'll be making a new string for it soon, and then shooting it as much as possible. I'll try and post a pic or 2 soon.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2132 on: March 24, 2016, 09:10:17 am »
Been a fun experience rich...and the rides not over yet!

Can't wait to see that ironwood bow Dave.

I'm hoping to get my tillering and heat treating finished up this weekend.  Then the really fun part starts...making this bow Purdy!  I have a lot of nice overlay and handle lam materials to work with.  I just want my guy to open that package and be like... :o ;D

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2133 on: March 24, 2016, 11:58:03 am »
I've been "out of the loop" for a few days and have gotten way behind on this tread......doesn't take long.

Sidmand, nice hatchet.  That should be a fine bow tool.

My trade bow has a thin spot on the lower limb and is bending more than it should.  I'm just not happy with it at this point.  I have a really nice hickory billet ready to go and will start another bow later today.  I've shot in my "A bow" about 60 times at 3/4 draw but not sure I can adjust the tiller and maintain the weight I need.  I'll try to get caught up with "Plan B" quickly.

Here's what I did yesterday with a couple of friends.  These black locust staves and billets are my share of the day's work......bark removed and sealed with shellac.  Bows for the future.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2134 on: March 24, 2016, 12:52:09 pm »
Those are beauties drew! Hope it works out with your plan a...but it's always fun working on a b  >:D

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2135 on: March 24, 2016, 02:22:19 pm »
I've been a bit preoccupied and lax lately myself. Too many unexpected events and visitors the passed few weeks.

Some of you have sent me PM's regarding your victims lack of participation and other questions regarding if and when it is OK to ship your bows. I'll try to get a list up of those who are OK to ship.

I'm a little concerned about a few of the entrants and will be trying to contact them in the next few days. I think you guys pretty much know whether or not your victim is doing the job of fulfilling their commitment.

We will be having another drawing this weekend. The winner will get their choice between either billets or a few tools we have remaining.

Thanks for all of your enthusiasm and help in keeping this going. >>------> Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2136 on: March 24, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »
got a question folks:  I am still toying with the idea of sinewing my trade bow.  HOWEVER, I've not done sinew before, and I would like to ask a few questions to see if it's worth the trouble/time:

• how much does humidity affects sinew?
  • I live in Alabama, which has fairly high humidity, and if I sinew the trade bow, is the high-ish humidity going to affect the drying time of the sinew?
  • How long does it take to really get good dry sinew?
  • I'm thinking about using backstrap sinew (I have some backstrap and leg), and I think I have enough, but if I had to use both, is that OK?
  • does the sinew need to be covered with a skin or thin rawhide or something after?  I would like to keep the bow as simple and primitive as possible, but if it needs to be covered, I will need to get some skins or hide

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2137 on: March 24, 2016, 03:09:28 pm »
I believe there's a lot of bad rumors going around about sinew and it's tendency to absorb excess humidity.

There are some areas of the world/ country where sinew is not feasible but being it was used extensively by Native Americans I doubt that sinew is affected as drastically as rumors have it.

As long as the bow is sealed properly and stored in a controlled environment IMO you will suffer no adverse reaction. I live in Nebraska and our relative humidity is generally high. My bows  haven't suffered but I don't shoot them in extremely damp or adverse conditions.

My sinewed bows will generally dry in 4 to 6 weeks.

Mixing sinews is fine but I would try to use layers of the same.

The sinew doesn't have to be covered. Most people do it for a little more moisture protection and a smoother back surface.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2138 on: March 24, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »
Well I shot the heck out of my BL plan a bow the other night. I shot it for about 90 minutes straight (probably 200 shots) and when I unstrung it, the bow went right back to the profile it had before I shot it.  I think it is the best shooting bow I have ever made.  At 49 pounds it is not the heaviest draw but I think it is the best shooting.  It hits right where I am looking every time.  For now this bow is being set aside to send to my victim (unless I come up with something better).

Mike

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #2139 on: March 24, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »
my bow is ready for first bracing. It's looking great and holding all the reflex I put in.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2140 on: March 25, 2016, 09:14:09 am »
thanks for the replies Fred!  going to reduce that stave down a touch more this weekend, if I get some time, and I'm going to start processing some of the sinew.  Will post pictures soon.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2141 on: March 25, 2016, 02:16:04 pm »
Got plan 3 tillered out to 20" today and decided to steam in some big hooks. I just cant help myself with flipped tips, they look so cool and a lot of performance. Plus this one might come in a lil under weight so the hooks should help.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2142 on: March 25, 2016, 02:20:51 pm »
Nice Curves!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2143 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04:01 pm »
Look'n good stix.............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2144 on: March 25, 2016, 05:30:14 pm »
I got Plan B spliced this morning.  So far so good.  A beautiful hickory billet from a 109 year old tree.  I wish is was 3/16 wider in a couple of spots but think I can make it work.

The splice should be excellent once it's cleaned up.

Work day at the club tomorrow but I'll start chasing a ring the first of next week.  Should be pretty easy.
Drew - Boone, NC