Author Topic: What is this tree?  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
What is this tree?
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:51:15 am »
As the title says. It's in the woods near my sister's house in central Maine. Anybody up at this hour  (12:55 a.m. in Maine)

Jim Davis, in Kentucky
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Zuma

Re: What is this tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:40 am »
Choke Cherry?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:56:26 am »
It should be pretty easy to ID the way the fruit is situated at the nodes along the branch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:58:27 am »
I thought Choke cherry too, but the fruit location doesn't look right for some reason.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »
Looks like some variety of honeysuckle.  Don't eat the berries.  Decent bow wood, but checks easily when drying.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »
Can we see the bark?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:30:29 pm »
Sorry,  the tree  is in my sister's  woods in Maine and I'm in western Kentucky, so I can't give you a photo of the bark,  unless  my BIL takes one.

Guys on the Leatherwall are pretty sure it's European buckthorn. Works for me unless a better candidate shows up.

Thanks for looking.

Jim  Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »
Fellas I can rule out Bumelia genus buckthorns.  Their leaf margins are smooth.  I can also rule choke cherries in the genus Prunus out.  Their fruiting structure extends farther out from the stem and they bear more fruit per structure. 

Telling the difference between Carolina buckthorn (Rhamnus Caroliniana) and black chokeberries (Aronia melanocarpa) is tough.  Black chokeberries have reddish dots on the upper side of the leaf, along the veins.  Carolina buckthorns lack these. 

Chokeberries have flowers and thus fruit at the end of the twigs.   Buckthorns have them at the axis of the leaves.   Your picture has fruit at the joint of hype leaves.   While my buckthorns here in Missouri don't tend to have so many fruit my reference says they can have up to  10 per axis. 

My vote is Carolina buckthorn based on what you have.   Kinda windy answer but I like to let folks know the why and the what.

Offline Griff

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:21:21 pm »
judging by the leaf shape and fruit I'd say hackaberry. least that's what my father called the big tree in front of an old house of mine. the berries were hard as rocks if I remember right.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:20:19 am »
Its not hackberry.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »
Here's my guess.  :o  Looks like a Nannyberry to me but I am by no means and expert.  Bob

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 03:22:49 pm »
Rhamnus cathartica: common buckthorn or European buckthorn is my guess. The leaves looked to be the closest I could find and the fruit location and cluster size looked right on. If the berries each contain four large seeds that would help confirm my ID.

Nannyberry looks similar but the leaf veins look more symmetrical in nannyberry and the fruit stems looked brightly colored.

Carolina buckthorn didn't appear to have serrated leaves as defined as the ones in the pic above.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 03:53:51 pm »
Saw tons of that stuff growing up in Michigan.  We always called it buckthorn.

riverrat

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:48 pm »
first thought, buckthorn. i know "if" you find a decently long straight shoot of it, itll make a nice arrow. so itll more than likely make a decent bow too.Tony

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 12:11:22 am »
Looks like common buckthorn to me and yes its a good bow wood.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.