Author Topic: What I wish non-hunters knew...  (Read 1581 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

What I wish non-hunters knew...
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:45:17 pm »
...the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation.

How many of you know about it?  If you have ever hunted or fished, or even enjoyed the sight of wild game in North America, you have already benefitted from it.  I had a chance to meet Shane Mahoney several years ago here in the Black Hills where he gave a talk on the subject.  Let's just say they tamed him down quite a bit for this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGZZ8C4Os2U

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

Re: What I wish non-hunters knew...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:07:02 pm »
That was an interesting video JW.  It made it clear how we got to this point and was sobering in how it pointed out that it can all be lost.  We all need to be ambassadors of this sport and get as many young folks interested in the outdoors as possible.  In our area, I have seen wildlife management areas close.  It is a sad thing really.  When you see thousands of acres of land sitting there open to hunt and only a handful of young folks there to experience it, it sort of gnaws at you that we might get voted into extinction one of these days.  I hope I don't live to see it, but most of the hunters I know are getting grey and long in the tooth, and there are not so many youngsters who would care to fill their shoes.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:49:21 pm »
We that hunt and fish have always shouldered the vast and overwhelming burden of the costs of conservation.  We do it with license and stamp fees.  We do it with Pittman-Robertson taxes on the sporting goods we buy to follow our passion.

What happens if we continue to be shouldered aside and marginalized?  What happens when the well runs dry?  Conservation requires money, not good intentions, warm feelings, and unicorn hugs. What happens when government agencies can no longer live under the budgets we hunters feed into the system and they have to turn to taxes?  Or will they begin to sell off bits and pieces?  Imagine your favorite state or federal park becoming the XYZCorp Hunting Preserve? 

It is less than a generation away.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joseph

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40:07 am »
There's a cancer.
It's name is.....
Xbox
Computer games can get a life

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:03:50 pm »
Thank you so much for that link JW.  Consider me re-inspired.  When I get home my children will be watching that video.  I've done my level best to instill a love for the outdoors in my children and its been an easy endeavor for the most part.  The out of doors and wildlife work their own magic on the young.  All I have to do is get them out in it, point out a few things and answer questions.  But Mr. Mahoney does an outstanding job of explaining why it is so important that we maintain the vigil that has blessed us in this day and age.  Thanks again!  Josh