Author Topic: ever seen or heard of a left handed mano (Not a Joke)  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

ever seen or heard of a left handed mano (Not a Joke)
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:39:53 pm »
Hello, a few yrs ago a guy plowed a field by me, long story short I ended up saving everything I found as this was the last time he will be ever plowing the field. So from time to time I will get these rocks out and see new stuff in the pile. one day while looking at some manos (grinders) one of my girls says to me this one is left handed. It sure seems to have been made for and used by a left handed person. if you grab this with your right hand and try to hold it like it was used. well it seems to remind me of an old saying about two monkey and a beach ball. So I get it, there was lefty's in the native world. I'm thinking that a lefty was not that common and to find a tool specifically built and used left handed could in fact be kind of a rare find.  Is there anyone on here that knows much about this kind of thing? Thanks for taking the time. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ever seen or heard of a left handed mano (Not a Joke)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:13:42 pm »
When I lived in Bluffton, SC, on the coast, there was no natural rock. Every rock you found was brought there. In my artifacts collection I have rocks that look like just a rock until you move it around in your hand, then bingo!  you can tell what it was used for... right and left hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:22:19 pm »
Pat
that's kinda like this one. it has two indents one that fits the thumb and one for the index finger. you can seen grind marks (direction) on both sides. if you grab it with the right hand it just don't fit like it does in the left hand. hope that makes since. Hope you all have a great weekend. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 09:34:19 pm »
Ed.
Can you tell for sure if the striations are clockwise? Or counter clockwise?
That could be a tale teller?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »
i found a hammerstone a while back. by looking at the old marks as to how it was used to strike stone i could tell the person who used it was left handed. it has a indent on one side thats where the thick part of the bottom of the thumb goes. for the use marks to be where they were it had to be used left handed. Tony

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:52:34 pm »
Can't answer your left handed question.  I have probably 50 mano's that I have found and most can be used in either hand.  I quit picking  up the single sided mano's and just collected the two side ones.

I have found two locations where I picked up 5 manos at each location and at one of them I found the deepest dished metate I ever found. I love hunting  artifacts.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 10:47:25 pm »
  I have probably 50 mano's
I thought you only had 49 now?? >:D
thamks Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:16:49 am »
"Can you tell for sure if the striations are clockwise? Or counter clockwise?" Zuma, they run front to back on this one.
Jeb, this one is also a two sided mano. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:34:24 pm »
I might suggest a wet stone Ed ??
Zuma

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:14:41 am »
Zuma, what do you mean by wet stone?
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,