Author Topic: Bow from veneers?  (Read 7247 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Bow from veneers?
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:11:36 pm »
I have a friend who works in a shop that makes skateboards.  Its all hard maple, and the vaneers are about 1/16" thick.  We're going to try and glue up some strips, make a couple bows and see how they work.
I'll probably go for a wide limb pyramid design, in hopes that the tiller will be close right out the gates. how crucial is it to pre taper lams for a bow like this?
The lams are very thin and already perfect for gluing.
Is it a game ender if more than one lam is revealed on the belly? 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Bow from veneers?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:17:36 pm »
I'll watch this one. I've got some Hard Maple and Ipe lams I was thinking of doing the same thing with when I got time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:22:49 pm »
  I wouldn't try to pretaper lams, just don't get crazy with R/D or recurves.  Layers can run off on the belly as you thickness taper just like growth-rings can, but if you are making a pyramid bow, that shouldn't be a problem.  You can even lay up your fades into the handle stairstep style with veneer slats before gluing on a handle block, but it WOULD be good to get a power-lam in there if you can so your handle can't pop off.  Less likely to if laid up with veneers, but power-lams are the thing for this.

Most veneer is too thin, but 1/16" should work.  Get lots of good clamps, though, and the right glue; every layer is a chance for glue line failure to occur.

Lastly, just like any backing, DO NOT SETTLE for less than perfect grain.  1/16" maple backing had darn well better be perfect.

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 05:45:34 pm »
This will probably look pretty cool if it works. You should back it with grip tape!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:47:12 pm »
Thanks guys. Spring buck, wouldn't the "handle stair step" handle/ fade area already have power lams if all I'm using is these slats?
We probably won't glue on a handle, just a bunch more slats.
We're toying with the idea of it being a skateboard inspired bow and using the forms they use for skateboards to get a little recurve.
Maybe a grip tape backing? Hah
Jackson, was writing that as you posted!

Online Hamish

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 05:50:21 pm »
What type of glue are you going to use? Titebond 3 is an excellent glue in general, but you can get lifts at the glue line eg near the fades, and perhaps where a non tapered lam is exposed on the belly.
This won't be an issue with urac, or a proper bowmaking epoxy.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:57:20 pm »
I have somewhat limited experience, ...but what I have has taught me that it is quite important to taper out your middle, aka core, lams in order to be sure to have a fairly consistent thickness of both the belly and back lam wood.  Also, use of a tapered 'power lam' glued into the core that protects the glued on handle region from bending is a very good plan.

I'm not sure what glues are used in skate board building, but Unibond 800 has worked very well for me in laminated bows.

OneBow

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:08:08 pm »
Ryan i think it should work, six lams 1-3/4"-2" wideshould get you around 50# . if it was me i would recurve the tips or atleast a hard flip, I've used unibond but now that I'm useing smooth on thats all i would use , just glue a bunch of strips on for the handle and feather the fades you should be fine, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:08:27 pm »
Awesome, thanks guys.
We're going to glue up a few to experiment
Not sure what glue they use, but I do have some smooth on.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 07:18:29 pm »
They are said to use Titebond 4.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 07:21:05 pm »
Is there any chance you can glue them up on the factory forms(if they're long enough) using the same glue as they do. That stuff has got to be tough enough.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:20:05 pm »
If u skated back in the day , remember Lance Mountain always had primitive cave drawings on his decks. I think the spirit is there for u to make this happen, and if anyone could it would b u.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 08:34:39 pm »
Remember veneers are rotary cut which generally seems to involve steaming the whole log, not sure how that's going to impact the wood properties.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 08:43:01 pm »
Would a narrow, deep profile ELB type design reveal less glue line feathering on the belly side? Also, I assume your putting a decent grained backing on it?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:27:59 pm »
Thanks guys, yes I grew up skateboarding so it would be a cool project for me and some friends.
Ill have to see the wood in person, I know grain orientation and clean wood is important for skateboards, but just in case  I have some boo and hickory backing strips collecting dust.
I'd prefer to use all maple if possible.
I'll post what we come up with  :D