Author Topic: Osage Design Question  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Osage Design Question
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:42:42 pm »
I recently received an Osage stave from a gentleman but it is quite narrow. I think I could maintain about 1 1/8" at the fades, about 7/8 mid limb. It has plenty of depth and is about 70" in length. I think I've read that Osage doesn't lend itself to narrow limb designs too well.What do you guys think? Can I get a decent bow out of this piece 50# or so @28? If so what would you suggest as far as design goes?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage Design Question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:49:23 pm »
Steve I've shot a few osage ELB's, aint nothing wrong with them. That specimen you have is a perfect candidate. Art Butner made me a sweet ELB style osage self bow, but its only 67-68 long. Same width you have there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:53:41 pm »
Hi Steve!  It's been a while.  I also think you'll be fine.  As Drums said also, try to start out with some reflex if you can. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 03:09:45 pm »
Chris, I've been curious about ELBs. I guess this will be a good time to find out about them. Hi Matt, yes it has been quite awhile. My email got hacked quite sometime ago and I couldn't get into it to find my password. It's been a real pain. Thanks to Pappy I'm back:) this stave has quite a bit of natural reflex already. I'll see you at Kazoo.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:41 pm »
sounds like a nice bow in the making, you have the option of keeping the belly semi flat or flat if you like that design,,
any efficiency advantage of one over the other is debatable ,,,my rounded belly bows did seem to loose a bit more weight in break in ,,, but thats just my experience and others may differ,,  also I did make the osage long bows with the round belly a little shorter than I had thought,, they had better cast and less hand shock,,

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:29:26 pm »
So do I want to want to utilize a rounded belly or semi flat? Are there advantages or disadvantages? Ease of tillering?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 04:33:48 pm »
Round. All ELBs have a D cross section and D braced profile. The proper ELBs, that is!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:06:02 pm »
advantages to both,, some would say, the flat belly would be more Native American style long bow, the rounded more English Long Bow Style,, I don't think you could go wrong with either,, some say the rounded belly was easier to tiller with the draw knife and faster to tiller,,for the mass production needed,, I like both, and would probably go with a mix of the two, semi rounded,, :)

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:33:42 pm »
My favorite osage selfbow is 1 1/8 or so wide, maybe 1 3/16. It's 63# @ 28", 66" ntn, has taken minimal set after 12 years of moderate use. I would call it a flatbow by definition, but there's nothing flat about it. Not as deeply rounded as I like to make 'legit' English longbows, but completely radiused. It has quite thick growth rings and has actually gained draw weight over the years. I can't think of anything I'd change about it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:31:24 pm »
I have never made an ELB, but to your original question about the width of the stave, I can say from experience that I have made several designs with osage limbs under an inch wide that came in around fifty pounds that have held up fine.   Sounds to me like that stave would make any sort of bow you had in mind. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 12:45:08 am »
I'm following this one. I've recently acquired 3 staves through the generosity of a member here. One for me, and 1 for two fledgling bowyer buddies. I had them pick what they wanted and I took the one that was left. It was narrow, knotty and snakey to start. I've got the back down to one ring, but its only 1" wide out of the handle. I'm thinking straighten it out all I can and try to work out some sort of ELB type bendy handle bow. Its going to be my most challenging stick to date it think.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 04:01:09 am »
Don't know much about English long bows , but welcome back Steve. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 06:24:29 am »
Thanks for the replies gentleman,time to start studying up on the ELB. And thanks again Pappy for getting me back up on PA:)